This super quick and easy Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe is filled with tomatillos, green chiles and a little jalapeño, sautéd and then blended to your preferred consistency. Perfect for topping burritos, enchiladas and even great as a salad dressing!
Ever since I’ve shared my Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce, everyone is keeps asking me for a Green Sauce version. I’m finally sharing my favorite recipe and once you try this sauce, you’ll never go back to buying canned again!
How To Make Green Enchilada Sauce:
- Start by sautéing diced onion, jalapeño and garlic in some olive oil until they are softer and tender.
- Add in some chopped tomatillos and cook another minute or two until softened.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, along with some canned chiles, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached.
Green Chile Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
While this recipe calls for canned green chiles you can easily roast your own Anaheim Chiles. I prefer to use the canned version when I’m in a pinch for time.
- Onion – I like to use a yellow onion, but you can also use white onions.
- Jalapeño – remove the seeds for a more mild sauce, but keep them in if you like it spicy.
- Tomatillos – green tomatoes that are wrapped in a paper-like husk. Remove the paper husk and wash well before chopping.
- Garlic – you can use fresh garlic or minced from a jar.
- Chicken Broth – you can also use veggie broth for a vegetarian option.
- Cumin – I love adding this spice to Mexican dishes because it gives it a great earthy flavor.
How To Store Green Enchilada Sauce:
You can use this sauce right away or store it in the fridge for up to 7 days, freeze for up to 5 months.
How To Can Enchilada Sauce:
- Process your lids as directed by the manufacturer
- Wash and rinse your pint size jars and keep hot until ready to fill
- Ladle the green enchilada sauce into the jars, leaving about 1/2″ of headspace. Wipe the rims with a damp cloth and seat the lids. Put on the rings and tighten finger tight.
- Process at 6 lbs. pressure for 20 minutes, following the directions that came with your pressure canner.
How To Use Enchilada Sauce:
This green enchilada sauce is delightfully tangy with a nice kick of spice. We love to use this sauce on chicken enchiladas, smothering burritos, in salads and also a great sauce to season chicken or pork!
More Mexican Recipes To Try –
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- Add the olive oil to a pan over medium high heat and sauté the onion, jalapeño and garlic until tender and slightly charred. Stir in the tomatillos and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until softened.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender along with the remaining ingredients and process until your desired consistency is reached.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days, or freeze for up to 5 months. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: