I’m always looking for simple and easy weeknight dinner recipes that will feed my family and keep them happy, which is why I LOVE this super easy and totally cheese Chicken Tamale Casserole!
It combines all the flavors of those authentic tamales into an easy casserole dish that takes less than one hour from start to finish. Since I’m a major fan of all things Mexican food, I had no doubts that this casserole dish would come in as a success.
The base of the casserole is made with a boxed corn bread mix (like Jiffy) that’s infused with creamed corn, chili powder, cumin and a little cheese.
Once the base is done cooking you simply pour some of your favorite enchilada sauce all over the top. Toss on a some shredded chicken and a little more cheese, then let it finish baking in the oven till it’s nice a bubbly all over.
Whenever I make Mexican food it’s always garnished with fresh diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sliced black olives, chopped green onions, cilantro… I basically go all out. That’s because the more vegetation I put on my plate, the more complete the meal becomes. At least that’s how I see it. So while it’s a great meal straight out of pan… I prefer mine topped with all the trimmings.
Chicken Tamale Casserole Recipe Variations:
- Instead of shredded chicken, try shredded pork or beef.
- Add a 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper to the batter to give it a little kick of spice.
- Add a small can of diced green chilies and substitute chicken for sweet corn for a vegetarian option.
- Try using green enchilada sauce instead of red.
Basically this Chicken Tamale Casserole gets 5 stars from this household, and it’s definitely a recipe we will be putting in our rotation frequently.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chicken Tamale Casserole
This cheesy Chicken Tamale Casserole is a quick and easy family weeknight dinner that has all the flavors of classic tamales without all the fuss!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 package (8.5 oz) corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) cream-style corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 cups shredded taco cheese blend, divided
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, from rotisserie chicken
- diced tomato
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- sliced black olives
- chopped green onions
- finely chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish with non stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the corn muffin mix, cream-style corn, eggs, milk, chili powder, cumin and 1 cup of cheese. Stir till combined then pour into the casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and use a knife to pierce the cornbread mixture several times all over. Pour the enchilada sauce all over the top of the casserole. Top with the shredded chicken and remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing into pieces and serving with optional toppings. Enjoy!
Substitute the shredded chicken for equal amounts shredded pork or beef if desired.
Keywords: Chicken, Tamale, casserole, baked, easy, delicious
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: