This Lemon Pudding Cake is a self-saucing summery cake that’s just 5 simple ingredients and super easy to make!
My allergies are also giving me a run for my money, but I’m determined to not let them take me down for too long.
How to Make a Lemon Pudding Cake:
- This cake is so easy it practically makes itself! Just combine a cake mix with some milk, sour cream, lemon juice and a little bit of lemon zest.
- Pour the cake batter into a baking dish and pour boiling water over the top.
- DO NOT STIR the boiling water and cake mix together!
- Let the cake bake and watch the magic happen!
I love this quick and easy cake so much because it’s perfect for an easy summer-inspired dessert. The lemon really pops in this cake.
If you’re feeling extra lemony, try using a lemon cake mix instead of a vanilla flavored cake mix.
The trick to this self-saucing pudding cake is to pour boiling water over the top of the cake mix. Once baked, the cake mix will rise and the boiling water creates a soft lemon pudding sauce underneath.
No frosting necessary for this delicious warm lemon cake.
With summer right around the corner, fresh berries are plentiful. I like to dress this warm cake up with some fresh whipped cream and lots of berries.
Since the cake is served warm, adding the whipped cream on top of the full cake is probably not the best idea as it will quickly melt away, but if you add a dollop to the individual servings of the cake, you’ll be better off.
You’re going to LOVE how quick and easy this simple dessert comes together!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Lemon Pudding Cake
- 18.25 oz Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 2 lemons; juice and zest of
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- fresh berries
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine the cake mix, milk, and sour cream. Zest and juice the lemons to get 2 tsp zest, and 1/2 cup juice. Quickly add to batter and stir until just combined.
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray. Pour batter into a 7x11 or 9×13 dish.
- Gently pour the boiling water over the lemon cake batter. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Top with fresh berries and whip cream. Best when served warm. Enjoy!!
Originally published 1/6/2012. Updated photos and recipe on 4/3/2018
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: