Welcome to Easy Dinner Street with this One Skillet Mexican Beef and Rice.
Someone needs to take my Mom card away.
Apparently a few months back I thought I had my life under control and decided to sign my three youngest kids up for the Spring Soccer League, all the while, my oldest daughter is in club swimming.
Guess what folks… my life is NOT under control.
It’s just a blur of calendar events that include soccer practice, dentist appointments, swim meets, cub scouts and have mercy, it’s also tax season.
I’m literally drowning in mom duties, grasping for air and easy one skillet dinners to make my life a little easier.
And heaven forbid I make a dish that my picky 6 year old doesn’t like, cause then it’s all tears and whining and I’m thisclose to the end of my rope and ready to hang myself on it.
Maybe that’s a bit dramatic.
I guess when it comes down to the end of the day I know I’ll survive. And I’m sure every Mom and Dad out there knows exactly what it’s like to feel like you’re ready to just ‘Netflix and Chill’ while the rest of the family tries to hold it all together. But we persevere. We forge forward and most of all, we find easy and filling dinner recipes like this one.
Oh yes. Even my picky 6 year old loved this one skillet dinner recipe.
It’s the perfect combination of taco meat, rice, corn and lots of cheese. You can throw in a can of black beans or pinto beans if you want to bulk it up even more.
The toppings are also totally optional, but they seriously take this dinner to the next level.
We enjoyed this quick and easy dinner straight out of the pan the first night, but the next day we used up the leftovers in a warm flour tortilla and wrapped it up burrito style.
Super quick and super easy. aka Parent Life Savers.
You’re going to love this one!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet
This quick and easy taco inspired skillet comes together so fast and will become a family favorite.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning (1 or 2 of the packets)
- 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fire roasted corn kernels, drained
- 3/4 cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Sliced Black Olives
- Chopped Cilantro
- Cook the onion in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the ground beef, using a wooden spoon to break up and crumble. Cook until no longer pink. Drain and discard fat. Return skillet to heat.
- Add the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, rice and beef broth, stir until combined. Bring to a small boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring at 10 minutes.
- Stir and top with the shredded cheese. Cover and cook on low for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with the taco toppings of your choice! Enjoy!
You can use regular corn kernels in place of the fire roasted ones.
You can also add a 1/2 cup of rinsed and drained black beans to the skillet before covering to cook if desired.
Keywords: Mexican, ground beef, rice, one skillet, corn, tomatoes, cheese