Welcome to Easy Dinner Street with this One Skillet Mexican Beef and Rice.
The best part… we’re only using ONE PAN to make it all happen.
Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet
Cooking the ground beef and rice together make the rice extra flavorful, while the ground beef becomes extra tender as well.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients in the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef – use a lean ground beef if possible
- Taco Seasoning – my homemade taco blend is amazing!
- Diced Tomatoes – from the can (juices and all)
- Fire Roasted Corn – from a can (or frozen corn will work too)
- Beef Broth – low sodium
- Colby Jack Cheese – or a Mexican cheese blend
How To Make Mexican Beef and Rice
This recipe comes together so quick, you’ll be making it a few times a month!
BROWN GROUND BEEF Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet until it’s no longer pink. Drain any fat and then season with the taco seasoning.
ADD TOMATOES, CORN, AND RICE Stir in the diced tomatoes, corn kernels, rice and beef broth and mix until combined. Bring the mixture to a small boil, then reduce the heat to a small simmer, cover and continue cooking until the rice is tender.
TOP WITH CHEESE Fluff the rice mixture with a fork once it’s cooked through, cover the beef and rice with cheese and then cover again, until the cheese is melted.
Tips and Variations
The best thing about recipes like this is that they are easily adaptable to different variations. Here are some easy swaps and tips to try…
- You can swap brown rice in place of white rice, however, brown rice does need more liquid and more time to cook fully. So increase the beef broth to 2 1/2 cups and increase the cook time until the rice is nice and tender.
- Cauliflower rice? Yes! You can make this recipe a low-carb dinner by simply swapping out the white rice for 3 cups of cauliflower rice at the very end. Skip the beef broth altogether.
- Try using ground turkey in place of the ground beef for a lighter version.
- Add a can of drained black beans or pinto beans to amp up the fiber!
What To Serve with Mexican?
This recipe for Mexican Beef and Rice is one that I would usually serve with just a side of steamed broccoli, carrots or a garden salad. But if you’re looking for the full experience, here are some of my favorite Mexican side dishes to pair with this one-skillet dinner.
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Crispy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Creamy Mexican Corn Salad
More One Pan Dinners with Ground Beef
I’m such a sucker for one pan dinners with ground beef because they’re quick, easy and my family always digs them. Here are some more tasty recipes I think you should try…
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Easy Korean Ground Beef
- Italian Beef and Pasta Skillet
- Easy Cheeseburger Pasta
Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning, 1 or 2 of the packets
- 14 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup fire roasted corn kernels, drained
- 3/4 cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
- Sliced Black Olives
- Chopped Cilantro
- Cook the onion in a large skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the ground beef, using a wooden spoon to break up and crumble. Cook until no longer pink. Drain and discard fat. Return skillet to heat.
- Add the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, corn kernels, rice and beef broth, stir until combined. Bring to a small boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring at 10 minutes.
- Stir and top with the shredded cheese. Cover and cook on low for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with the taco toppings of your choice! Enjoy!
You can also add a 1/2 cup of rinsed and drained black beans to the skillet before covering to cook if desired.
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE