Red Beans and Rice is a slightly spicy side dish recipe that can easily be turned into a Cajun-inspired main dish with the help of some andouille sausage!
A couple weeks ago I was cruising the grocery store trying to find some inspiration for a side dish to go with some grilled chicken we were having that night for dinner.
I spotted a package of Dirty Red Beans and Rice. I picked up the tiny pouch and studied the ingredients. I thought to myself, this wouldn’t feed my family of 6, and then I thought, heck, why don’t I just make my own version from scratch!?
So I did just that!
It doesn’t take long to whip up this tasty side dish.
I took direction from my Easy Mexican Rice and just tweaked the flavor profile to match that down-south feel.
I’m obsessed with cajun spices right now. I just posted this Cajun Chicken Pasta (which is all made in one skillet too), and I can’t get enough of it!
You need to jump on this spice train with me! Toot toot!
After I made this easy side dish, I realized that I could very easily make this a main course by simply adding some sliced andouille sausage to the skillet while I’m sautéing the onion!
Here’s a pro tip when making any skillet rice dish – TOAST THE RICE!
When you slightly toast the rice before adding the liquid it helps the rice to not become sticky and clumpy when cooked. Leaving you with a fluffy rice pilaf that your family with keep coming back for more!
I like to toast my rice right in the skillet, after I’ve sautéed my onion and red bell pepper. I’ll throw in my spices and let those get a little toasty too. It helps to bring out all the aromatic flavors.
Whether you serve this as a side dish or a main dish, you’re going to love all the flavors and ease of this delicious recipe!Print
Red Beans and Rice
This super easy Red Beans and Rice can either be made as a side dish or add diced sausage and make it a complete meal!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup white long grain rice (I prefer Jasmine Rice)
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15oz.) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- freshly chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the onion and red bell pepper for about 2 to 3 minutes, until they soften slightly.
- Add the rice, cajun seasoning and garlic salt, stirring until the rice is slightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken broth and stir until combined. Bring mixture to a slight boil. Add beans, stir, then reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 18 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir to fluff the rice. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve warm. Enjoy!
Add 12oz. of sliced andouille sausage to the skillet while sautéing the onion to make it a complete meal!
Keywords: kidney beans, rice, spicy, one skillet, easy, side dish