I’m just going to come right out and say it – This Vegetarian Orange Chicken Cauliflower is on the top of my list for all time favorite recipes.
By no means am I becoming a vegetarian, I love meat way too much for that. But every once in a while I like to participate in those “Meatless Mondays” that everyone’s always talkin’ about. Plus saving a few calories is never a bad thing either…
The trick with this Orange Cauliflower is that it actually tastes like the legit Orange Chicken from Panda Express or any other fancy Chinese take-out.
The cauliflower is lightly battered and then wok-fried to give it that slightly crisp outer coating with tender crisp insides.
The sauce… oh mama…
The sauce is beautifully fragranced with orange zest and given just a hint spice to compliment, but not over power, the sticky sweetness.
If you love the taste of Orange Chicken, you’re going to love this. If you close your eyes when you take a bite into the perfectly cooked cauliflower it will almost seem like you’re eating chicken.
I love the power of cauliflower!
Did you know that cauliflower is supposed to be a “trending ingredient” for 2014? You’ll probably see a lot of it this year, and this is a great way to try it out in a whole new way!
If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go marry a head of cauliflower and have cauliflower babies.
This is getting awkward isn’t it? I’ll stop now.
But seriously, this Vegetarian Orange Chicken Cauliflower was a major hit with my family and I know you and your family will love it too!Print
Vegetarian Orange Chicken Cauliflower
The delicious Orange Chicken flavor that you love but vegetarian style, served on Cauliflower!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 to 3 tbsp canola oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or dry sherry)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- toasted sesame seeds
- In a large bowl combine the sesame oil, egg, 3 tbsp soy sauce and corn starch until a thin batter forms. Toss in the cauliflower and let sit while you make the sauce, tossing every few minutes to coat all pieces.
- In a small bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce except the broth and corn starch. Combine the broth an corn starch in a separate small bowl and whisk till no more clumps. Combine with the other sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok over medium high heat, add 2 tbsp of canola oil and begin to fry the cauliflower on all sides, in batches, making sure not to crowd the pan (approximately 1-2 minutes per side). Once all the cauliflower is all cooked remove any excess oil from pan and wipe clean.
- Return pan to heat and add 1 tsp of oil. Add the ginger and garlic to pan and stir, cooking for 30 seconds, until very fragrant. Pour in the sauce and stir constantly until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and gently toss in the cauliflower, turning to coat evenly. Garnish with green onions and toasted sesame seeds if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Keywords: cauliflower, orange, stir fry