These Baked Chicken Fajita Burritos are filled with charred bell peppers and onions, cheese and tender grilled chicken then baked until crisp and delicious!
Sometimes I worry that my simple dinner recipes are too simple to share. But you know what? Maybe I’m just here to help spark an idea or two and help you to have a quick and easy weeknight meal with your family?
I’m hoping that you agree, and that you get as excited as I do when a delicious dinner comes together in no time, like these Baked Chicken Fajita Burritos.
So here’s the thing. These burritos are basically just everything you love about regular ol’ chicken fajitas except they are wrapped up in a large tortilla and then baked until crisp.
My husband doesn’t understand why fajitas need to be “baked,” while he typically enjoys them on a much smaller tortilla, and eaten the old fashion way. But here’s why I LOVE these baked burritos – everyone gets to eat at the same time!
I have 4 kids, and two of them are too small to make their own fajitas, which means I sit there, assembling the little girl’s fajitas while my husband and older two children (who also sometimes require help), are eating their hot dinner.
This way everyone eats at the same time and mom is happy!
Tips for making Baked Chicken Fajita Burritos:
- Add in sliced jalapeno to the bell peppers to kick up the spice level.
- These burritos can be made ahead of time and frozen for later. Freeze before baking.
- Serve these with all the usual toppings on the side – sour cream, cilantro, more cheese never hurt, and why not some fresh Pico de Gallo?!
The sweet fajita peppers and onions are combined with a 3 cheese blend and grilled fajita chicken. You can use the precooked chicken strips found in the deli section of your grocery store to make it that much quicker, or just grill up some chicken like I did here.
You’re going to LOVE this simple dinner!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Baked Chicken Fajita Burritos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, 1/4 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Grill over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, flipping halfway through, until cooked. Remove from grill and cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch strips and squeeze the juice from half of a lime over the top of them, set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium to medium high heat. Once hot add the peppers and onions and let cook, only stirring once a minute until the peppers and onions are lightly charred and starting to soften. Squeeze the juice from the other half of the lime into the pan and season with 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp garlic powder and salt as desired. Stir to coat and then remove pan from heat.
- To assemble burritos warm up tortillas in the microwave until pliable. Divide the chicken strips, peppers and onions, and cheese among the 10 tortillas and fold up burritos, enclosing the mixture inside. Lay seam side down on the baking sheet and spritz the tops of the burritos with cooking spray. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the burritos are golden brown and crisp.
- Top with any additional toppings as desired.
I always love to pair these burritos with my Quick and Easy Mexican Rice!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: