This Chicken Fajita Rice Skillet is filled with peppers, onions, tender rice and perfectly seasoned chicken.
I just can’t seem to get away from making super easy ONE SKILLET dinner recipes. My family loves them, I love how easy they are to make and I especially love how I’m only cleaning up one pan after dinner. It’s a win-win!
Chicken Fajita Rice Skillet Recipe:
- You’ll start this recipe by cooking your peppers and onions in a hot skillet with just a tiny amount of oil.
- Stir the peppers occasionally, allowing them to get a nice blister/char from the hot skillet. This adds great color and flavor to the dish!
- Once your peppers and onions are cooked you’ll just toss in the remaining ingredients, bring it to a boil, then reduce and simmer until the rice is tender!
When I was at the grocery store I picked up a package of precooked grilled chicken strips, which is always handy to have for a quick lunch or dinner add-in.
What can I substitute for grilled Chicken?
- I used pre-cooked grilled chicken strips for this recipe, but you can definitely cook your own grilled chicken instead.
- Shredded rotisserie chicken would also work in this recipe!
- Grilled steak would also be a great addition to this easy fajita skillet.
- If you want to use shrimp in place of the chicken I would cook the shrimp before the peppers then remove from the skillet and add back in after the rice is cooked. This will help to avoid over cooking your shrimp.
I kept this recipe super simple and easy by using precooked chicken strips and a package of fajita seasoning mix. I’ll leave my go-to fajita spice blend in the notes section of the recipe if you want to skip the packaged spice mix.
Chicken Fajita Rice toppings-
I served this rice skillet right out of the pan with a table full of toppings, small tortillas and corn chips. My kids made up tacos with the chicken fajita rice mix and kept coming back for more. Even my youngest child raved about how much she liked it!
I ate this rice filling over a bed of lettuce with some sour cream, pico de gallo and avocado slices. Oh and don’t forget the cheese!
I can’t wait till you try this easy dinner that’s packed full of flavor!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chicken Fajita Rice Skillet
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cups uncooked rice, I use Jasmine rice
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 pkg. Fajita seasoning mix*, found by the taco seasoning
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 cups cooked grilled chicken breast, cut into strips or bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Fajita Toppings (optional)
- Sour Cream
- Pico de Gallo
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed skillet (preferably not non-stick) over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and onions and cook, stirring occasionally until the peppers and onions are charred and blistered.
- Add in the rice, tomato sauce, chicken broth, fajita seasoning, lime juice, chicken, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 16 to 18 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Fluff rice with a fork or wooden spoon and serve with the optional fajita toppings. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: