This cheesy Baked Zucchini Squash Casserole is a deliciously creamy and easy side dish to use up summer produce.
Serve this vegetable side dish recipe with my Million Dollar Roast Beef Tenderloin or Baked Chicken Breasts for a complete meal!
Looking for a new and delicious way to enjoy that summer zucchini and squash?
This casserole is just what you need!
Baked Zucchini Squash Casserole
My cheesy and creamy zucchini casserole is simple to make and seasoned with garlic, parmesan cheese and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Here’s a basic list of the ingredients you’ll need in order to make this zucchini bake. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the recipe card below.
- Zucchini – cut into thin discs
- Yellow Squash – cut into thin discs
- Heavy Cream – can substitute with whole milk for a lighter sauce
- Parmesan Cheese – shredded or grated will work
How To Make Zucchini Casserole
If you have tons of squash and zucchini ready to be used, you’re going to love this easy recipe.
BOIL SQUASH Start by slicing the zucchini and squash into thin discs. Boil the vegetables in salted water for about 10 minutes until they are tender-crisp. Drain the water off and place on a stack of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
MAKE CREAMY SAUCE Melt butter in a pan over medium heat and then whisk in flour to create a roux. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream and then stir in the garlic and parmesan cheese. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
BAKE CASSEROLE Finally, arrange the zucchini and squash in a lightly greased baking dish (I like to alternate the zucchini with the squash, but it’s not necessary). Pour the creamy cheese sauce over the vegetables and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the center is bubbly.
Can I Freeze Zucchini Casserole?
Absolutely! This Zucchini Squash Casserole can be prepared ahead of time, then refrigerated or frozen prior to baking.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze* for up to 3 months.
*If frozen, place the casserole in the fridge for 24 hours prior to baking.
These amazing baking dishes come with a lid and are freezer and oven safe!
How Do You Keep Squash Casserole From Getting Watery?
Zucchini and squash are moisture-packed vegetables.
It’s important to partially cook the squash and zucchini in salted water to help draw out the moisture, then drain and set on paper towels to absorb any excess moisture.
This simple step not only prevents the casserole from being too watery, but also lets it cook much faster in the oven.
What Does Zucchini Go Well With?
Zucchini is a great vegetable that’s high in potassium and folate, but also low in calories, fat and sugar.
This makes zucchini and squash an excellent side dish to go with just about any meal. Here are a few recipes I think you’ll like…
- Classic Meatloaf
- Crispy Pork Schnitzel
- Garlic Herb Pork Tenderloin
- Slow Cooker Ham
- Italian Grilled Chicken
Easy Zucchini Recipes
When it’s zucchini season, you can rest assured that I’m stuffing zucchini in just about every recipe I can. Good thing it’s easy to use and works great in both savory and sweet recipes!
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Easy Sautéed Zucchini
- Zucchini Corn Fritters
- 5 Minute Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- Chicken Sausage Zucchini Pasta Skillet
I can’t wait for you to give this easy Baked Zucchini Squash Casserole a try. I know you’re going to love that cheesy, creamy goodness!
Baked Zucchini Squash Casserole
- 2 lb. zucchini, cut into ½" circles
- 2 lb. yellow squash, cut into ½" circles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add in the zucchini and squash and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender. Drain and arrange in a greased 3 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- To another large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the heavy cream, until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir in the garlic and parmesan cheese and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the creamy, cheesy mixture over the zucchini and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the center is nice and bubbly. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE
What is 247k calories? K?
Yes, the milk will work fine because you’re essentially making a roux with the butter and flour, then adding the milk and making a gravy cook until it thickens. You may need a little more flour and butter though since the milk is thinner than the cream.
I use skim milk because basically lactose intolerant could I use skim milk in lieu of heavy cream. ? Would recipe still work?
I don’t think so.