This bright and flavorful Chicken Zucchini Pasta Skillet is filled with plump chicken sausages, tender zucchini and pasta in a light, lemon and basil sauce. Ready in just 20 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights!
It’s seriously one of my all time favorite things to create ONE PAN dinners. This time I took to my community on Instagram to help me pull together the flavors and ingredients to come up with this delicious, Summer-inspired recipe.
Filled with fresh summer produce and cooked chicken sausages, this meal comes together in minutes. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and even my pickiest of eaters enjoyed it over and over again.
Grab these ingredients and let’s get going!
- 12 oz. Italian Style Chicken Sausages – the kind that are already cooked and ready to go
- Diced Onion
- Crushed Red Pepper – this is optional, but does add a great boost of flavor to the dish
- Chicken Broth
- 8 oz. uncooked pasta – I’m using Radiatore because I love the shape (my 18 month old loves them), but any small pasta will work
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – the kind that comes in a can, or you can use fresh too!
- Lemon Juice
- Grape Tomatoes – bonus points if they’re from the garden!
- Fresh Basil – I’ve used the basil in a tube before and it works great if you’re out of fresh
How To Make Chicken Zucchini Pasta Skillet
- Start by browning your chicken sausage in a skillet along with your onion until the onion is tender and the chicken sausage is browned slightly.
- Add in some salt, crushed red pepper (if using) and garlic and stir until fragrant. Pour in the chicken broth and scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pan (that’s where a lot of flavor is!).
- Bring the skillet to a boil and stir in the uncooked pasta, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until the pasta is mostly tender.
- Add in the chopped zucchini and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes, until zucchini is tender and the majority of the chicken broth is absorbed into the pasta.
- Finally, stir in the lemon juice, parmesan cheese and tomatoes, until combined and heated through. Garnish with the fresh basil and enjoy!
This quick and easy dinner is perfect for using up garden zucchini, tomatoes and basil! BUT- it’s also great for customizing to your taste and what ingredients you have on hand. Here are some great ways to switch it up…
Tips and Variations:
- Swap out the zucchini for other veggies like – broccoli, green beans, asparagus or quartered Brussels sprouts (if it’s a more dense veggie, add it to the pasta earlier to allow time for softening).
- Feel free to use any sort of sausage in place of the chicken sausages. Even ground Italian sausage would be great here!
- Try adding in a tablespoon of lemon zest at the end with the lemon juice to give it an even bigger boost of fresh flavor.
- Use any sort of small pasta shape – small shells, macaroni, ditalini, farfalle (bowtie), orecchiette, campanelle, etc.
More Ways To Use Summer Zucchini
We planted zucchini this year and can’t wait to be able to use it all up! Here are some of my favorite recipes to use zucchini…
- Shrimp Scampi Zucchini Pasta
- Cheesy Sausage Zucchini Rice Skillet
- 5 Minute Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- How To Freeze Zucchini
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy dinner as much as my family does.
Chicken Zucchini Pasta Skillet
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 12 oz Italian Style Chicken Sausages, cut into discs
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper, optional
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz uncooked Radiatore pasta, or any other small pasta shape
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once hot, add in the chicken sausages and onion and cook until sausages are browned and onion is tender.
- Season with salt, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits. Bring mixture to a boil then add in the uncooked pasta. Stir frequently, for about 10 minutes, until pasta is mostly tender, then add in the chopped zucchini.
- Continue cooking an additional 3 minutes until zucchini is tender and most of the chicken broth is absorbed into the pasta. Stir in the lemon juice, 3 tbsp of the parmesan cheese and the grape tomatoes.
- Remove from heat and top with the fresh basil and remaining 1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: