These Zucchini Corn Fritters are filled with juicy corn, cheddar cheese, fresh zucchini, and fried to crispy golden perfection!
Get ready for a super delicious, easy zucchini recipe!
This is an easy side dish for any weeknight, made with a few of our favorite fresh seasonal vegetables. Corn and zucchini!
Zucchini Corn Fritters
A skillet and a bowl is all you need to whip up these delicious summery fritters. No need to turn on the oven! Shredded zucchini and fresh (or frozen) corn are the heart and soul of these fritters, along with the addition of delicious cheddar cheese and a little cornmeal to add texture.
Here are the basics for what you’ll need to make these fritters. The complete list is always listed in the recipe card below!
- Zucchini – shredded with box grater
- Corn – fresh or frozen
- Onion – sweet variety such as yellow or white
- All purpose flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
- Oil – vegetable or canola
How to Make Zucchini Corn Fritters
This is a quick and easy way to make fritters in under 20 minutes!
PREPARE ZUCCHINI grate and spread zucchini onto a paper towel-lined flat surface. This is the quickest way to get excess moisture out of the zucchini. Lay another layer of paper towels over the zucchini and press down to soak up as much moisture as you can. Let sit for 10 minutes on paper towel. Set aside.
COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS in a mixing bowl combine cornmeal, all purpose flour, cornstarch, and salt & pepper.
SAUTÉ ONION AND CORN in a frying pan, melt butter and cook onion, corn and minced garlic over medium heat until onion is translucent and corn is tender, about 5 minutes.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS in the bowl of dry ingredients, combine zucchini, cooked corn and onion mixture (does not need to be cooled first), milk, and egg.
COOK FRITTERS by heating a large skillet over medium heat with about 1/4 inch of oil on the bottom. Scoop about 1/4 cup of fritter batter into the pan and smooth into a disk.
Cook 3-4 fritters at a time to ensure even cooking, for 3-4 minutes on each side. Makes 8-10 fritters. Serve warm!
PRO TIP – use an ice cream scoop with a trigger release to make it easy to scoop and place batter into pan.
Tips and Variations for Zucchini Corn Fritters
This recipe is so great because it can easily be modified to fit your taste preferences. Here are a few tips and variations to try…
- Use different types of cheese for a unique flavor! Our favorites are cheddar, gouda, parmesan, or gruyere.
- Milk and an egg are the binding agents for these fritters, but for a dairy free or egg free version you can use a plant based milk and egg substitute. The texture may be different.
- TOPPINGS! There are SO many exciting options here. Bacon bits, sour cream, aioli sauces, greek yogurt or tzatziki sauce, or some fresh herbs like parsley or chives for an elegant finish.
- MAKE AHEAD? – Yes! You can make these ahead and quickly reheat in a frying pan, air fryer or oven – no oil needed- to maintain crispiness.
More amazing Zucchini Recipes
Do you need recipes that use zucchini? In the summer we eat it a lot! Here are a few options for you…
- Cheesy Zucchini and Potato Casserole
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Shrimp Scampi Zucchini Pasta
- Lemon Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Corn Fritters
- 2 cups grated zucchini, with excess moisture squeezed out
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups fresh or frozen (thawed) corn
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, large
- ½ cup milk
- oil for cooking
- Prepare the zucchini by grating and spreading over flat surface lined with paper towels. Place another layer of paper towels over zucchini and press to squeeze out excess moisture. Let sit 10 minutes and set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté onions, corn, and minced garlic 3-5 minutes until tender.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, and pepper together.
- Add in zucchini, onion and corn mixture, cheese, egg, and milk. Mix until combined into a thick batter.
- In same frying pan (wiped out) heat oil (about ¼ inch deep) over medium heat. Spoon ¼ cup batter at a time into pan. Cook 3-4 fritters at a time for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Lay on paper towels to drain excess oil and serve while warm.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: