This Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe takes just a few minutes of prep and results in tender, juicy chicken.
You’ll also make flavorful veggies, potatoes and a silky gravy to go on top! Everything cooks in the crockpot with very little work on your part.
It’s a complete meal in one pot!
I’m a total convert to making this easy crockpot recipe for Sunday supper. I can just toss everything in the slow cooker, let it do it’s magic and then at the end of the day, have glorious, rotisserie style chicken with veggies, potatoes and gravy too.
It’s the perfect meal for my family. The chicken is juicy, flavorful and so extremely tender!
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
Gone are the days of picking up a rotisserie chicken at the store. Did you know you can make a whole chicken in the slow cooker? It’s the perfect way to make it without any fuss!
You can even get that golden brown, crispy skin with a simple little trick at the end!
Which Slow Cooker To Use?
For this recipe I’m using my oval shaped 7 quart Slow Cooker.
You’ll want a slow cooker that’s large enough to fit your chicken and have the lid fit nice a snug. I find the oval shape to be best for this recipe as it fits the bird nicely.
Ingredients Needed For Crockpot Chicken
I’ve taken the seasoning blend from my Roasted Chicken Thighs and turned it into a seasoning paste to coat every inch of this whole chicken.
Here’s what you’ll need…
- 3lb. Whole Chicken (must be thawed and NOT frozen) – these are actually quite cheap. I picked up a whole bird for just $3!
- 3 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1.5 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
Potato and Veggie Nest
We’re going to use cut up veggies, potatoes and herbs to make a nest for our chicken to rest on in the slow cooker. This keeps it up off the bottom and from boiling in it’s own juices.
Here’s what you’ll need for the bottom of the slow cooker –
- 6 ribs of celery
- 6 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 24oz. baby potatoes – you can use any sort of baby potato
- Fresh Rosemary & Thyme
How To Make Whole Chicken in Slow Cooker
DO NOT RINSE RAW CHICKEN!!
Rinsing your chicken can spread dangerous bacteria around your kitchen, so it’s best to not rinse it in your sink.
Rather, remove any giblets from the inside of the chicken and use plenty of paper towels to pat the skin dry as well as inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Drying the skin of the chicken will help to adhere the seasonings and also create a crispier skin later on.
Combine the seasonings in a small dish and add in the olive oil to create a seasoning paste. Then gently rub this mixture all over the bird, including the inside cavity.
Place the seasoned bird on top of the “nest” of veggies and then cover tightly with the lid.
How Long To Slow Cook Whole Chicken?
When cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot, you can either use the LOW setting or the HIGH setting.
- LOW – 6 to 8 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. in the breast
- HIGH – 4 to 5 hours, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. in the breast
By cooking the chicken in the slow cooker, it slowly reaches the safe eating temperature, which creates a juicy, tender chicken!
You’ll have to be extra careful when removing it from the crockpot as it’ll want to start falling apart.
How To Get Crispy Skin on Chicken
If you really want to take this dish to the next level, all you need to do is carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker once it’s done cooking and place it on a lined baking sheet.
Brush a little olive oil on the top and pop it under the broiler (about 10 inches away from the heating element), until the skin gets nice and golden brown.
How To Make Gravy From Drippings?
All you need are two extra things… butter and flour!
- STRAIN the liquid from the bottom of the crockpot into a fat separator.
- MELT 2 tbsp of butter in a small pan until melted then whisk in 2 tbsp of all purpose flour.
- WHISK gradually add in about 1 1/4 cup of the drippings, whisking until smooth.
- SEASON with salt and pepper to taste.
PRO TIP – Add more drippings for a thinner consistency gravy.
What To Serve with Whole Chicken
We usually serve the veggies and potatoes that are cooked with the chicken alongside it. Here are some more of our favorite side dishes to serve with this whole chicken.
- The BEST Fluffy Mashed Potatoes – perfect covered in the gravy!
- Parmesan Roasted Green Beans
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Classic Stuffing Recipe
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Looking For More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes?
I love utilizing my slow cooker to make amazing chicken recipes. Here are a few more must-try recipes.
Not only can you serve this whole chicken recipe for a nice Sunday dinner (or any day of the week), but the chicken is also great for meal prep!
I know you’re going to enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
- 3 lb. whole chicken, thawed
- 3 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 24 oz baby potatoes, halved
- fresh herbs, such as rosemary & thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- Pat chicken dry with plenty of paper towels, remove any giblets from inside the cavity of bird and pat dry inside with paper towels.
- Combine the Italian seasoning, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl and stir in the olive oil to create a seasoning paste. Rub the seasoning all over the chicken skin, including the inside of the cavity. Set aside.
- Place all the vegetables and potatoes inside the bottom of the slow cooker, creating a nest to rest the bird on. Place the fresh herbs on top of the veggies. Place the whole bird, breast-side up, on top of the veggies and cover tightly with lid.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees in the breast.
(OPTIONAL - CRISPY SKIN)
- For a crispy chicken skin, carefully remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the chicken with a little olive oil and place about 10 inches under the top broiler of your oven. Cook until skin is golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
TO MAKE GRAVY
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the veggies, potatoes and herbs from the slow cooker and set aside on a platter. Strain the liquid left in the slow cooker through a fine mesh strainer and into a fat separator.
- Heat a small pot with 2 tbsp of butter until melted, over medium heat. Whisk in 2 tbsp of flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 ¼ cup of de-fatted chicken drippings until gravy is nice and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE