Easy Teriyaki Chicken is marinated in a homemade, sweet (and a touch spicy) sauce then grilled to ultimate perfection.
I have never shared this delicious recipe with you, and I knew that had to change immediately. Unlike my Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken, this chicken is grilled to perfection.
First of all… can we please talk about the stir-fry veggies that are to accompany such chicken?
I love going with bright and flavorful veg, like red bell peppers, purple onion, snap peas, broccoli, green onions, etc.
The key to making the stir-fry veggies work is to start with the most dense vegetables first (broccoli), then work your way up to the more tender ones (peppers/onions).
Also, let’s not over cook them. They’re meant to be tender-crisp, not baby mush.
Unless you’re into that sort of thing, then by all means… go for it.
Now, I didn’t add any extra sauce to my stir-fry veggies for this recipe, I simply cooked them in a blend of olive oil with a touch of sesame oil.
As a rule of thumb though, if you’re adding sauce to the veggies, that is the last thing you do, because the longer you cook the veggies in the sauce, the more tender/mushy they will become.
I’m just realizing I may be a stir-fry snob…
Anyways… this chicken…
The longer you marinate the chicken in the simple sauce, the better the chicken will taste. I’d give it at least 2 to 3 hours, but if you can remember the night before, do it! I just always forget.
One of my favorite tricks is to save just a bit of the marinade before I add it to the chicken, then I’ll heat it up just before serving and thicken it up with a quick cornstarch slurry.
It makes for an amazing presentation, and the sauce is just incredible.
You’ll really love the sauce. It’s sweetened with 100% pure Pineapple juice, so no added sugar!
Don’t forget to spice it up with as much Sriracha sauce as you like. (a tablespoon is usually what I go with)
I mean, what’s not to love about this hot mess?Print
Easy Teriyaki Chicken
Easy Teriyaki Chicken is marinated in a homemade, sweet (and a touch of spicy) sauce then grilled to perfection!
- Prep Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 25 minutes
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2/3 cup 100% pineapple juice
- 4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Sriracha hot sauce, optional
- 1 tsp cornstarch
For the Stir Fry Veggies:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 purple onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Pound the chicken to an even thickness and place in a zip close bag.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, 1 tsp sesame oil, ground ginger, garlic powder and Sriracha (if using). Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce in a small container and set aside for later use. Pour the remaining sauce in the bag with the chicken and place in fridge for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Heat grill to medium and drain chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Grill chicken for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until chicken reaches 170 degrees internally. Remove from grill to a plate and cover loosely with tinfoil.
- Place the reserved sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon of water with the 1 tsp of cornstarch, then pour into the saucepan. Stir and let simmer until the sauce thickens. Brush the thickened sauce over the cooked chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish.
For the Stir-Fry Veggies:
- Heat a large wok over medium heat and add the olive oil and sesame oil. Once hot, toss in the broccoli and stir for about 1 minute. Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic to the wok, stirring occasionally for about 2 to 3 minutes. Once the veggies are all crisp-tender, remove from heat.
- Serve the chicken over a bed of white rice along with the stir-fry veggies! Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6