This Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake has a sweet vanilla cake, layered with pineapple and a delicious buttery caramel glaze with maraschino cherries.
If you’re looking for the perfect summer dessert, here it is! This easy cake recipe is perfect for a potluck or backyard summer barbecue. The delicious vanilla cake is based off my Vanilla Raspberry Sheet Cake Recipe.
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
There are two parts to this easy cake: the butter and brown sugar caramel-like glaze over pineapple and cherries, and a fluffy vanilla cake that is simply to die for. There are a few extra ingredients in this recipe to add maximum flavor!
An extra egg, sour cream, milk, and pineapple juice make this cake taste bakery worthy!
You also could easily make the vanilla cake from scratch with my Easy Homemade Vanilla Cake Recipe. No frosting necessary for this simple cake, but it is delicious with some whipped cream on top!
How to make pineapple upside down cake:
- MAKE BROWN SUGAR GLAZE: Melt the butter and pour it into the bottom of a 9×13 inch cake pan, then sprinkle the brown sugar over the bottom of the pan. Drain the canned pineapple (save 1/2 cup of juice for the cake!) and place on a paper towel to soak up excess moisture.
- ADD PINEAPPLE & CHERRIES: Line long sides of the pan with 4 slices, then slice the last two pineapple rings in half and line them down the middle. Place 20-30 maraschino cherries in the center of all of the pineapple rings, in gaps between the slices, and around the edges of the pan.
- MAKE CAKE BATTER: Mix together the vanilla cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, eggs, milk, oil, sour cream and pineapple juice. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium high speed for 2 minutes.
- BAKE: Spread the batter out evenly over the pineapple and cherries, careful not to move them. Bake until the center is fully cooked, about 40 minutes.
- INVERT: Cool for 5 minutes, then invert by placing a platter or flat pan over the top, holding the edges tightly, and flipping over quickly. Remove pan off the top and serve warm or cooled with whipped cream!
Tips and tricks for the best upside down cake:
- Add pineapple juice to the cake batter, it helps boost the lovely pineapple flavor!
- Drain the pineapple and maraschino cherries and let drain a little on a paper towel to soak up extra liquid, this helps prevent the cake from getting soggy.
- Add an extra egg, sour cream, vanilla pudding mix, and milk to the cake for a super fluffy sponge.
How do You Keep Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Getting Soggy?
- Don’t add extra liquid to the bottom of the cake pan, it can make the cake soggy.
- Make sure to drain the pineapple and maraschino cherries (but save the pineapple juice for the cake batter!). You can also place them on a paper towel to soak up extra juice before laying into the bottom of the pan.
Can I Use Fresh Pineapple Instead of Canned?
Yes! You can you fresh pineapple. If you use fresh pineapple, be sure to let the slices rest on a paper towel to soak up the extra juice.
PRO TIP: The recipe for the cake batter will change if you don’t use canned pineapple, as it calls for 1/2 cup pineapple juice. However, you can substitute the juice with 1/2 cup milk.
You’re going to LOVE this super delicious and easy cake recipe. Everyone will be asking for the recipe, trust me!
More Easy Summer Cake Recipes:
Craving more light and fluffy cakes? I’ve got you covered with these delicious options…
- Super Easy Lemonade Cake Recipe
- Key Lime No-Bake Cheesecake
- Orange Crush Cake
- No Bake Banana Split Cake
- Cranberry Orange Almond Cake
Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, light
- 20 oz can pineapple slices, (reserve ½ cup juice)
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup pineapple juice, from canned pineapple
- 10 oz jar of maraschino cherries
- Optional topping: whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drain the pineapple slices (reserve ½ cup juice for cake) and maraschino cherries.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Place the pineapple slices over the bottom of the pan evenly. Place maraschino cherries in middle of pineapple slices, and in spaces around edges of the pan.
- In a stand mixer with whisk attachment, combine vanilla cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, sour cream, and pineapple juice. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Pour cake batter into baking dish over the pineapple and cherries, being careful not to move them. Smooth batter with rubber spatula.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then invert by placing a rectangular platter or baking sheet over the top of the cake pan, holding the sides of both the pan and platter firmly, and flipping over. Remove the cake pan gently. Serve immediately or chilled, optional topping whipped cream.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: