This Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken is so tender and the homemade teriyaki sauce practically soaks through the chicken for an intense teriyaki flavor!
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Recipe:
- This recipe starts off with bone-in, skin-on chicken legs. The number one reason I use chicken legs is because they’re super affordable and my kids LOVE to eat with their hands, so it’s always a slam dunk at dinner time.
- CAN I USE CHICKEN BREAST? – Yes, you definitely can substitute the chicken legs for chicken breasts. You can even use chicken thighs!
- If you do use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, you can skip the step of broiling the chicken in the beginning. The chicken you will get when you are done will be a shredded teriyaki chicken, which is still fantastic.
By broiling the chicken legs before cooking them in the slow cooker, it’ll help keep the chicken legs together. Otherwise you’ll end up with shredded chicken and lots of bones in your crock pot.
Once they’re broiled for just a few minutes toss them into the slow cooker and pour the simple homemade teriyaki sauce over the top.
Slow Cooker Chicken Legs
With this super simple recipe, the chicken is cooked in the sauce slowly for hours, penetrating the chicken with flavor.
Then, just before you are ready to eat, take the chicken out of the crock pot, place it on a baking sheet and pour the sauce from the crock pot into a small pot. You’ll add just a bit of cornstarch to thicken the sauce and baste the chicken with it.
A minute or two under the broiler of your oven and you’re left with finger-lickin’ good teriyaki chicken!
You can serve this delicious teriyaki chicken with a side of rice and steamed broccoli (my family’s favorite), or sometimes I whip up my Hawaiian Macaroni Salad to go along with it for a fun treat.
I know you’re going to LOVE this super easy and mega delicious Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Recipe!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 3 lbs. chicken bone-in drumsticks, skin on*
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- Arrange the top rack of the oven to be about 5 inches from the top heating element, preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes on each side. Place the chicken in the slow cooker in an even layer. In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, dry sherry, honey, ginger, garlic powder and onion powder. Pour over the chicken and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Rotate the chicken halfway through, to make sure all are coated in the sauce.
- Once chicken is done turn broiler on again. Place chicken on a foil lined baking sheet in an even layer.
- Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a small pot and bring it to a low boil. In a small dish combine the 2 tbsp corn starch and 2 tbsp water, stirring until smooth. Pour into the sauce in the pot and stir until sauce thickens. Brush the chicken with the sauce and broil for 2 minutes, flip chicken, brush with more sauce, and broil an additional 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced green onions for garnish. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: