This Cheesy Cauliflower Au Gratin has been tested, and approved. I’ve worked hard to perfect this recipe. It’s absolutely delicious, and super easy to make.
Here’s the best part about this tasty side dish casserole – no roasting and no homemade cheese sauce.
I’ve taken out the tricky parts and produced an easy, throw it all in a dish and bake, recipe.
How To Make Cauliflower Au Gratin:
- Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Fill the casserole dish with the cauliflower florets and then set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the cheese soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over the cauliflower florets. Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil from casserole and gently stir the cauliflower to evenly coat in the cheese sauce. Evenly cover the cauliflower with shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, panko crumbs, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper (to taste). Stir till combined and the crumbs are evenly buttered. Spread over the casserole dish.
- Bake again until the top is golden brown, and the cheese should be bubbly all over.
Can You Substitute Frozen Cauliflower?
If you don’t have access to fresh cauliflower, you can substitute with frozen. Since the frozen cauliflower has been previously flash cooked it will contain a bit of excess moisture. This might make your cheesy sauce a little thinner.
Simple Au Gratin Cheese Sauce
I love this simple cheese sauce because there is no thickening of sauce on a stove top prior to baking. Just whisk all the ingredients together and pour over your cauliflower florets.
Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup Alternative
If you prefer to not use the condensed cheese soup, you can make your own cheese sauce on the stove top in it’s place.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
In a small saucepan add the butter and melt over low heat.
Add in the flour and whisk, cooking for about a minute, don’t let it turn brown.
Add in the salt, dry mustard and milk and whisk until smooth.
Add in the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth.
Use the prepared cheese soup recipe as stated in the instructions below.
Once it’s a golden brown, and bubbly all over it’s ready to enjoy.
This Cheesy Cauliflower Au Gratin is so phenomenal. The cauliflower is tender, but not mushy. The cheese sauce coats every inch of the cauliflower, and the crispy Panko crumb topping is the perfect addition- adding a little crunch to each bite.
More Cauliflower Recipes:
Go ahead and add this casserole to your Thanksgiving side dish list.
It will be a crowd pleaser. I promise.
Cheesy Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 8-10 cup Cauliflower florets, I used 1 1/2 large Cauliflower heads
- 1 10oz can Condensed Cheese Soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups Panko style bread crumbs, found in the Asian isle
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Fill the casserole dish with the cauliflower florets, set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the cheese soup, milk, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over the cauliflower florets. Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove dish from oven after 1 hour, turn heat up to 425 degrees F. While oven is heating, remove foil from casserole and gently stir the cauliflower to evenly coat in the cheese sauce. (the sauce will be thin).
- Evenly cover the cauliflower with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- In a separate bowl combine the melted butter, panko crumbs, italian seasoning, and salt and pepper (to taste). Stir till combined and the crumbs are evenly buttered. Spread over the casserole dish.
- Bake at 425 F for 25-30 minutes. The crumbs should be golden brown, and the cheese should be bubbly all over. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the cheese sauce thicken before serving. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW