You guys, lately I’ve become obsessed with kale. I know I’m super behind on the trends, because kale was super popular a couple years ago, but lately it’s been finding it’s way into all of my dishes!
Mostly in part to the fact that I’ve been trying to eat on this low carb, keto friendly diet in preparation for my trip to Hawaii. Kale is just a great green vegetable that is similar to spinach and perfect for when you’re getting tired of spinach…
As the weeks have gone on with this low carb diet, I have been missing things like potatoes. I think of all the carbs, potatoes are my weakness. Cauliflower is a great substitution for potatoes in a low carb diet. While they don’t hold the same starchiness, they still give you that feeling of comfort that you’re used to with potatoes.
This soup is so quick and easy to make too, which is always a bonus. The cauliflower actually cooks much faster than potatoes, so this low carb version is much quicker to make than the original copycat version from Olive Garden.
Low Carb Zuppa Toscano Soup
The best thing about this recipe is that it’s all made in just one pot. I mean, it’s as soup… so that makes sense, but I still love it. There is nothing more comforting than a delicious soup recipe on a cool Fall evening, am I right?
My kids LOVED this delicious soup recipe. They went back for seconds, and so did I!Print
Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
This Low Carb Zuppa Toscano Soup is everything you love about the traditional Olive Garden soup, but low on carbs and full on flavor!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 cups cauliflower florets (medium sized head of cauliflower)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot brown the sausage until crumbled and cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Turn the pot to medium high heat and add the bacon, cooking until fat is rendered and bacon begins to crisp. Add the onion and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pot and pour in the chicken broth, water and cauliflower florets. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is fork tender.
- Stir in the kale and let cook an additional 2 minutes until softened slightly. Finally stir in the heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste and the red pepper flakes. Simmer for 2 more minutes until heated through. Enjoy with fresh parmesan on top.
Keywords: low carb, zuppa, toscana, soup, sausage, healthy, cauliflower