Quick and simple to throw together, this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup is hearty, tasty, and easily customizable to suit any palate.
While it’s still warm in Southern California, festive store fronts and autumn themed merchandise catalogs have me yearning for cooler weather. It’s not even October and I’m already dreaming about cozy sweaters, warm spice scented candles, and comforting soups.
One of my all-time favorite soups to make this time of year is slow cooker chicken and rice soup. I love it because it’s pretty much a set-it-and-forget-it kind of soup. I’m able to dump everything in before heading out in the morning and dinner is waiting for me when I get home.
Aren’t those the best kinds of dinners? Who wants to come home and prep, cook, and clean after a long day of work?
This slow cooker chicken and rice soup is full of flavor with only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Staples like chicken breast, chicken broth (make your own or use store-bought), rice (any kind!), some vegetables and spices are all you need.
While the cooking is happening, the starch from the rice thickens the soup and produces a savory and comforting stew-like soup. To me, that’s part of the soup’s charm and only adds to its appeal.
But, if you’re anything like my husband and like your soup thinner with rice grains intact, skip adding the raw rice like the recipe says below, and stir in cooked rice right before serving instead. Just make sure to keep in mind that the longer the rice sits in the broth, the thicker the soup will become.
The best part about adding this chicken and rice soup to your meal rotation during these cooler months is for its versatility. Feel free to add autumn goodies like fresh squashes and pumpkin.
Let’s not forget that Thanksgiving is coming up. You can totally substitute the chicken breast with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.
Like the rice tip, since the turkey would already be cooked, you would add it at the end of the cooking period. I usually add cooked meats in during the last 15 minutes to 30 minutes of cooking, only to heat it through.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked rice, white, brown, or wild
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 pound whole bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- To the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together the chicken stock, rice, garlic, onion, carrots, parsnips, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
- Nestle in the chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks. Remove 1/2 cup of the soup broth into a small bowl and whisk in the corn starch until smooth.
- Stir the corn starch mixture back into the slow cooker, along with the shredded chicken and mushrooms. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE SOUPS: