Come home to a warm and inviting dinner with this Slow Cooker French Onion Soup!
It has been nothing but rain clouds and dreary weather for the last several days.
I’m over it.
I want my sunshine back!
While I have no control over the clouds, I do have control over what I’m eating. And what I’m eating happens to be some delicious rainy-weather-comfort food.
Say hello to your new easy dinner BFF.
If you’re a fan of French Onion Soup, you’re going to love this easy crock pot version.
As with all delicious crock pot meals, just dump in the ingredients and come home to a warm dinner.
Start by tossing in some onions.
Ok, a lot of onions.
Let the onions cook all day until they’re a nice caramel color. The smell is simply amazing.
Once the onions are caramelized just toss in a little dry sherry, some beef and chicken broth, herbs and seasonings and then let it simmer a little longer.
I know technically French Onion Soup is usually served with a crusty piece of bread that’s been smothered in cheese, then broiled until gooey and downright irresistible… but since it’s January and I am still trying to hold on to some of my New Year’s Resolutions I decided to skip that part.
Instead I sprinkled a little bit of shredded parmesan cheese on top of the hot soup and added a tiny sprig of fresh thyme.
The heat from the soup melts the cheese so it’s going to satisfy that sinful craving, but all in all, this soup is still pretty dang healthy!
That’s a little ray of sunshine on those cloudy/rainy/snowy January days.
Of course you could always add a few garlic croutons to the top and a nice thick slice of gruyere cheese and pop that under the broiler right before enjoying.
Tomato – TamahtoePrint
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
The best soup just got easier to make with this no-fuss crock pot recipe! Tender onions in a flavorful broth and a little cheese on top too! Recipe adapted from: Weight Watchers Magazine Jan/Feb 2015 edition
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 3 lbs. uncooked onions, sliced (about 6 to 7 large onions)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dry sherry (cooking wine), optional
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Combine the onions, butter and salt in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, until the onions turn a caramel brown color. Add the dry sherry and garlic, stirring to combine. Keep the slow cooker on high, uncovered, to burn off any alcohol, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the broths, thyme, bay leaf and sugar. Cook, covered, on high for an additional 1 to 2 hours to let the flavors blend. Remove the thyme and bay leaf and stir in soy sauce and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and garnish with extra thyme. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: