If you love the taste of a delicious bakery style French Onion Soup, then you’ll love this quick and Easy French Onion Soup Recipe!
How to Make French Onion Soup:
If you’re not familiar with French Onion Soup, it’s caramelized onions that are infused with thyme in a beef broth. The hot soup is topped with crusty bread and cheese then quickly broiled in the oven to get a melty gooey and bubbly top.
It’s basically heaven in a bowl.LATEST VIDEOS
I’ve quickened this recipe, while still leaving it full flavored and delicious.
What type of onions to use for French Onion Soup?
- I prefer the yellow sweet onions as they tend to have a more mild sweet flavor to them.
- Chop off the top and bottom of the onion, peel it, then cut it in half.
- Make the onion slices uniformly thin so the onions can cook quicker and more evenly.
Throw the onions and some butter into a large pot along with some sprigs fresh thyme and a bay leaf. Let it cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are really soft and tender.
Once they are soft and tender add some red cooking wine and stir to break up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Let the red wine reduce to half then sprinkle the onions with some flour and stir. This will help thicken the soup and give it some body.
Pour in the beef broth and you’re nearly done!
The trick to the French Onion Soup is to get the bread nice and crusty so it doesn’t immediately turn to mush when it’s placed on top of the soup. Well, I found that using a good and thick garlic crouton yields amazing results. For one, it’s easy (I always have croutons on hand), and for two, the croutons hold their shape quite well and have a little crunch to them even after being drenched in soup and smothered with cheese.
What type of cheese for French Onion Soup?
- I use a nice thick cut Havarti cheese, but you can also use
- The possibilities are endless, have fun with it!
The results are incredible.
This quick and easy French Onion Soup Recipe will knock your socks off.
Find more SOUP RECIPES HERE.Print
Easy French Onion Soup Recipe
This quick and easy French Onion Soup Recipe is filled with caramelized onions in an aromatic beef broth, then topped with melty gooey cheese!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: serves 4
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup garlic croutons
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- In a large pot melt butter and combine onions, thyme and bay leaf over medium high heat. Stir and cook onions for about 20 minutes or until really soft and tender.
- Add red cooking wine and stir, breaking up any browned bits on the bottom of pan, let liquid reduce to half the amount. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in the beef broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile turn your oven on to broil and prepare oven safe bowl on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, divide the croutons among the bowls, top each bowl with a slice of cheese. Carefully place in oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Use caution when serving, as the bowls will be HOT! Enjoy!
You can use other types of cheese like Swiss, Gruyere, or Gouda in place of the Havarti.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: