This super easy Walking Tacos Recipe is piled high with all your favorite taco toppings and perfectly portable for all your camping and outdoor fun!
This year I’m in charge of making all the meals for my daughter’s high school mountain bike team at their races. Think: outdoors, tons of hungry kids, people coming and going… I wanted to give the kids something easy to eat, yet also fun and exciting.
These super easy Walking Tacos were the perfect fit!
Walking Tacos or Frito Pie?
There is much debate over the proper name of these delicious portable tacos. Here’s what I’m thinking – Frito Pie is very similar to a Walking Taco in the sense that it has all the taco toppings and corn chips. But in my opinion, Frito Pie has more of a chili (with beans) that is used rather than just the taco meat filling in a Walking Taco. I used my Homemade Taco Seasoning to season the beef, but you can use store bought if desired.
Either way you assemble it, both are delicious in my book!
Walking tacos are great because you can easily prep the ingredients ahead of time and bring them to camping trips, outdoor parties, birthday parties, tailgating or just Taco Tuesday!
Make Ahead Walking Tacos Tips:
- Make the ground beef mixture ahead of time and let cool completely. Store in a zip close bag and reheat in a crock pot or dutch oven with 1/4 cup of water until heated through.
- Store all your taco toppings in individual containers, pre chopped and ready to go.
- If you’re planning on using avocado, don’t chop until just before serving. Or, you can toss the diced avocado with a little lime juice and store with the pits of the avocado to prevent browning.
- Bring a variety of single serve bags of chips – Fritos, Doritos (both nacho cheese and cool ranch), Cheetos, etc.
All you have to do is set out the toppings and let your guests assemble their own tacos right in the bag.
What size chip bags for Walking Tacos?
These images are showing the 1 ounce size bags of chips, which is a decent portion size and fairly easy to find at most grocery stores.
Since I’m serving these to hungry teenagers, I purchased these 2 ounce bags on Amazon for a great price. I think the 2 ounce bags will leave more room for extra toppings too.
You’re going to love how easy these fun “walking tacos” come together.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST| TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Super Easy Walking Tacos Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 6 chips
- lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese, sliced black olives, diced avocado, salsa, etc.
- Brown the hamburger in a large skillet, along with the onion, until fully cooked and crumbled. Drain any fat and return skillet to stove top. Add the taco seasoning and 1/4 cup of water. Stir until moistened and fully seasoned.
- Serve the taco meat with the bags of chips and all the taco toppings. Let everyone assemble their own tacos by layering the ingredients inside the bag. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE:
I know those little hands. <3 walking tacos were one of my favorite college meals. This recipe was easy and delicious, thanks Shawn!
Snacks look delicious and very attractive, thank you for sharing the article