An easy, flavorful one pot pasta with sausage and broccoli for an all-in-one dinner!
Hi there! It’s Kathryn from Family Food on the Table with another guest post for the lovely Shawn.
Since it’s August, and since that means back-to-school time for a lot of us, I wanted to bring you a quick and easy all-in-one meal.
With pasta. And sausage. And cheese. (And broccoli for good measure 😉)
I make a one-pot vegetarian spaghetti for an easy, meatless Monday meal. It’s light but super filling and a great way to reset after a weekend of wining and dining.
But as we are carnivores in my house, I also love a one-pot pasta with meat.
And this one-pot pasta with sausage is very adaptable. You can use your favorite type of sausage, your favorite pasta shape, add extra cheese and adjust the level of spices to really make it your own!
And if you’re like me, you’ll love that you can get a little bit of every ingredient on your fork – the best, right?!
Here’s a few notes on this one-pot pasta with sausage and broccoli:
- I know it seems strange to put a lid on a pot of pasta, but it’s necessary here to keep the moisture in so the pasta cooks all the way through.
- Be sure to lift the lid and stir the pasta every few minutes to move it around so it all cooks evenly.
- I use hot Italian turkey sausage but you can substitute mild or use a pork sausage.
- You could even use a cooked, flavored chicken sausage for an even faster meal.
- I use whole wheat rotini pasta because I like the shape with the sausage and broccoli mix. You could also use penne or bowtie pasta if you prefer, just check the cooking times and adjust as needed.
- I use fire-roasted diced tomatoes because I love the extra depth of flavor they have, but regular diced tomatoes would be fine, too.
- Like it extra cheesy? Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella at the end and stir to get it melted. Yum!
I hope you’ll give this one-pot pasta dinner a try. It’s a great quick one to whip up on a busy weeknight.
And if most of your weeknights are busy and you always need some last-minute meal ideas, especially for the kiddos, I put together a collection of our favorite easy, quick kid-friendly meals — with a free printable too!
Have a wonderful week!
One-pot pasta with sausage and broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. sausage, see notes, removed from casing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 14.5oz can, undrained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb. rotini pasta
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and saute until well browned and cooked through, breaking it up with your spoon or spatula as it cooks. (Meanwhile, you can prep the remaining ingredients.)
- Remove cooked sausage to a bowl using a slotted spoon and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium and in the same pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add chopped onion and saute for 4-5 minutes, until slightly tender. Add garlic, broccoli, salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 more minutes. Add tomatoes (undrained), chicken broth and pasta. Return sausage to the pot and stir to get everything combined.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally to keep the pasta moving so it all gets some time in the liquid. Cook for 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente and the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for a few minutes. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
You can substitute regular diced tomatoes for the fire-roasted if you prefer.
I use whole wheat rotini pasta, but feel free to substitute your family’s favorite kind and shape of pasta. Just note the cooking time and adjust as necessary.
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW