This easy Monterey Chicken Recipe features juicy chicken breasts smothered in melted cheese, crispy bacon, and tangy BBQ sauce, creating a flavor-packed sensation that will have you coming back for seconds.
You can easily pair this saucy chicken with my Parmesan Roasted Broccoli or Honey Glazed Carrots and Fluffy Mashed Potatoes to make it a full meal.
Monterey Chicken Recipe
Are you on the hunt for a super quick and easy recipe that’ll have the whole family jumping with joy? Well, you’re in luck because my Monterey Chicken recipe is just what you need! Brace yourself for a flavor explosion that’ll leave everyone at the table begging for more. I’m talking about tender, juicy chicken breasts, ooey-gooey cheese, crisp bacon, and a tangy BBQ sauce that takes this favorite recipe to the next level of deliciousness.
Trust me, it’s a delicious chicken recipe that’ll have you doing a happy dance in the kitchen!
Ingredients for Chicken Monterey
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- BBQ Sauce – You’ll use this to grill and coat the chicken.
- Medium Yellow Onion – Diced.
- Strips Bacon – Cut into small pieces.
- Diced Tomatoes – You can also use fresh tomatoes if you prefer!
- Colby Jack Cheese, Shredded – I don’t use Monterey Jack Cheese in this recipe, but you totally can if you prefer! Cheddar cheese is another great option!
- Green Onions – Diced, for garnish.
How to Make Monterey Chicken
Fire Up the Grill
Heat your grill to medium-high and brush with olive oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
Pound the Chicken
Place chicken in a zip close bag and pound the chicken to an even thickness. Pour 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce in the bag to coat the chicken. Grill for 5-6 minutes on each side.
Caramelize the Onions
While the chicken is cooking set the oven to broil, and heat up a skillet to medium-high heat. Place the diced onions in the skillet once it is hot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized (browned and softened).
Remove the onions from the skillet and add the bacon to the hot skillet.
Assemble Monterey Chicken
Place the grilled chicken into a hot, oven-safe pan or casserole dish and spread the remaining barbecue sauce over the chicken.
On top of each chicken breast, place caramelized onions, crispy strips of bacon, diced tomatoes and then cover with melty cheese.
Place the skillet into the oven under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, top chicken with green onions and enjoy!
How do I know when the chicken is done?
Use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. Cooked chicken is considered to be done at around 165 degrees F!
How can I make this Monterey Chicken dish in an air fryer?
To make Monterey Chicken in an air fryer, follow the same steps of preparing the chicken and toppings.
Then, place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at the recommended temperature and time according to your air fryer’s instructions. Enjoy the crispy and flavorful result!
Can I use homemade BBQ sauce?
Definitely! You can use your favorite store-bought BBQ sauce or try making my simple homemade BBQ sauce for an extra personal touch and great flavor!
What are some recommended side dishes to serve with Monterey Chicken?
Monterey Chicken pairs well with various side dishes. Consider serving it with a refreshing green salad, roasted vegetables, or even a side of seasoned rice for a complete and satisfying meal.
Can I make Monterey Chicken ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare the chicken and assemble the toppings ahead of time. Store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, simply cook the chicken, add the toppings, and melt the cheese for a quick and tasty meal.
How to Store Monterey Chicken
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- Sesame Chicken Recipe
- Ultimate Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake
- Spatchcock Chicken with Potatoes
- Easy Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
I can’t wait for you to give this easy weeknight chicken dinner recipe a try! I know you’re going to love it as much as we do!
Monterey Chicken Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- ½ cup BBQ sauce, + 3 tbsp, divided
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups colby-jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp green onions, diced
- Heat your grill to medium-high and brush with olive oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Place chicken in a zip close bag and pound the chicken to an even thickness. Pour 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce in the bag to coat the chicken. Grill chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side, until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking set the oven to broil, and heat up a skillet to medium-high heat. Place the diced onions in the skillet once it is hot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized (browned and softened). Remove the onions from the skillet and add the bacon to the hot skillet, cook until crisp and then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Place the grilled chicken into a hot, oven-safe pan and spread the remaining BBQ sauce over the chicken. Top with the caramelized onions, crispy bacon, diced tomatoes and then cover with cheese. Place the skillet into the oven under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, top chicken with green onions and enjoy!
I must make this wonderful dish, thanks for posting it.