This creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake is filled with tender pasta in a creamy sauce with chicken, ham and broccoli. It’s a complete meal in one pan!
This is one of my favorite no fuss dinners, mainly because I can use up rotisserie chicken and leftover ham! This chicken and ham casserole is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a potluck with friends, you can’t go wrong either way.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake
Chicken cordon bleu pasta casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that combines the flavors of classic chicken cordon bleu with hearty pasta and a creamy cheese sauce. With its flavorful combination of tender chicken, salty ham, and melted cheese, this dish is sure to become a favorite in your recipe collection.
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
It typically consists of a chicken breast that is pounded thin, then filled with ham and cheese, and rolled up and breaded before being baked or fried until crispy.
Common filling options include ham and Swiss cheese, although some recipes call for prosciutto, Gruyere cheese, or even spinach. Chicken Cordon Bleu is typically served with a sauce, like a creamy mushroom sauce, and is often accompanied by vegetables such as Cheesy Garlic Roasted Asparagus or Classic Mashed Potatoes.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this chicken cordon bleu pasta. As always, you can find the full ingredient list in the printable recipe card below.
- Penne Pasta – rotini pasta would work great as well
- Broccoli – fresh or thawed from frozen
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Sour Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chicken – cooked and shredded
- Ham – cooked
- Swiss Cheese
How To Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
Thanks to rotisserie chicken, this casserole is so easy to put together! In a pinch, you can use canned chicken as well. I’ll walk you through the process of how to make this super yummy casserole.
Cook The Pasta
Cook penne pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Add chopped broccoli florets to the boiling pasta water in the last 3-4 minutes. Drain pasta and broccolini in a colander and set aside.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×13″ casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine melted butter, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chicken broth, dijon mustard, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk until smooth and combined.
Add in the cooked chicken, ham, cooked pasta, and broccoli. Stir until combined, then fold in the Swiss cheese. Pour the creamy pasta mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
Bake In Oven
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes, until bubbly in the center. Enjoy!
Recipe Substitutions and Variations
It’s so easy to customize by using different types of pasta, cheese, or adding in vegetables or different seasonings!
- You can swap out the cream of mushroom soup with cream of chicken soup if desired.
- Not a fan of broccoli? You can use 2 cups of spinach sautéed before adding to the casserole for another variation of cordon bleu flavor.
- The Swiss cheese can be substituted with gruyere, provolone, or a smoked gouda.
- If you want to go fancy, switch the ham with prosciutto!
Tips for This Recipe
- Don’t skip the foil on top while baking! It helps the casserole heat keeping it nice and creamy without drying it out.
- Use good quality ham! Don’t use thin sliced lunch meat, it breaks apart too easily for this recipe. This is a great way to use up leftover ham from the holidays!
Storage and Freezing
Store: You can store leftovers once cooled in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze: You can freeze before baking for up to 3 months. Defrost completely before baking according to recipe directions.
More Chicken Dinner Recipes
If you need more dinner recipes that use chicken, I have a few favorites for you to try!
- Easy Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Baked Chicken Dinner
- Spatchcock Chicken with Potatoes
I hope you love the flavors of chicken cordon bleu in pasta like I do. Cheese and chicken and ham are a match made in heaven.
Tell me how you like it!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake
- 8 oz. penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 20 oz. cream of mushroom soup*
- 2 cups sour cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard, Coarse mustard (with the seeds)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups ham, cooked and cut into small cubes
- 2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- Cook penne pasta according to package instructions, until al dente. Add chopped broccoli florets to the boiling pasta water in the last 3 to 4 minutes. Drain pasta and broccoli in a colander and set aside.Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9x13" casserole dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine melted butter, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, chicken broth, dijon mustard, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Add in the cooked chicken, ham, cooked pasta and broccoli. Stir until combined, then fold in the Swiss cheese. Pour creamy pasta mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes, until bubbly in center. Enjoy!