This Cucumber Tomato Salad recipe is a classic Summer side dish that’s filled with sliced cucumbers, juicy tomatoes and thinly sliced onions, then tossed in a light and refreshing vinaigrette dressing.
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
There really is no wrong time to make this bright and flavorful salad, but when the cucumbers and tomatoes are in peak season (Summer time), that’s when this lovely side dish recipe shines.
- Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and herbs in a large bowl.
- Place the dressing ingredients (see below) in a small mason jar and shake.
What Kind of Cucumbers To Use?
I’m using the long English cucumbers in this recipe because the peels are nice and thin and the seeds are also really small and easy to eat.
If you don’t have English cucumbers, you can easily use regular cucumbers that are peeled.
If the seeds are too coarse, feel free to scoop them out before chopping and adding to the salad.
Dressing for Cucumber Salad
Not much is needed here, as we’re really wanting to let the fresh flavors of the cucumbers, tomatoes and onions shine. I’m using equal parts oil and vinegar because I simply adore how the vinegar really boosts the flavors.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
PRO TIP: You can also use a white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar. It’ll change the flavor slightly, but should still be amazing!
Tips and Variations:
- Swap out the white onion with a purple onion for a more mild flavor.
- You can use fresh or dried herbs. If using dried, use half the amount called for the in the recipe.
- I’m using grape tomatoes, but you can also use regular plump tomatoes that are chopped.
- Keep the salad covered and stored in the fridge until ready to serve. The flavors blend nicely up to 24 hours in advance.
More Delicious Cucumber Recipes To Try
- Vinegar Cucumbers & Onions – a reader favorite!
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad – great for potlucks!
- Crunchy Thai Cucumber Salad – so easy!
- Pineapple Cucumber Salad – a great combo!
I’m sure you’re going to love this crisp and cool salad. It’s perfect for potlucks and parties too!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 3 cups English cucumber, chopped (about 1 1/2 cucumbers)
- 1 ½ cups grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, dill and parsley in a large bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small mason jar and shake to combine (or combine in a small bowl and whisk together).
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Cover and let sit in fridge until ready to serve. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE