Instant Pot Meatloaf Mashed Potatoes is a complete meal that’s prepped and cooked in minutes in your pressure cooker!
You guys, I’m kind of freaking out about how much I’m in love with this recipe! If you haven’t taken the Instant Pot plunge, do it now. This machine is such a time saver in the kitchen. I whipped up this tender meatloaf, fluffy mashed potatoes and even steamed Brussels sprouts in just 20 minutes!
The first thing you’ll want to do is whip up your super flavorful meatloaf.
I used some honey bbq sauce to give this meatloaf some extra zip and sweetness. It’s a game changer for sure. Even my pickiest eater asked for seconds of the meatloaf!!
The trick with this super easy recipe is to layer everything.
Start by layering your cut up (raw) potatoes and placing them on the bottom of your pressure cooker in an even layer.
Most pressure cookers will come with a rack that you can lay on top of the potatoes for a steady platform for your meatloaf, so you’ll want to lay that down on top. Adjust any potatoes that are sticking up and preventing an even surface.
Create a foil pocket that’s small enough to fit into your instant pot and place your shaped meatloaf in side.
I also tried to add some Brussels Sprouts to the instant pot, but because Brussels Sprouts take only a few minutes to cook in the pressure cooker, the texture that resulted from being in there too long was less than desirable.
My kids still ate them though!
I think if you’re going to try and cook some sort of vegetable alongside the meatloaf and mashed potatoes you’ll want a thick cut carrot. Or just whip up my Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts while the meatloaf is being cooked.
Once the meatloaf is cooked, you’ll carefully pull it out (lifting the rack out makes this part easy). Brush on the simple glaze and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes till it is nice and bubbly and slightly caramelized.
Meanwhile, add a few simple ingredients to your perfectly cooked potatoes and mash them right in the instant pot!
You guys, let’s talk about how many dishes we saved in this one meal! So genius!
Here are few ways to customize your Instant Pot Meatloaf:
- Add a 1/3 cup of shredded parmesan cheese to the mix
- Chop up 1/2 cup of mushrooms and add to the meat mixture
- Substitute ground turkey for the ground beef
- Mix in 1/2 cup finely chopped apples for a sweet surprise
Either way you dress it up, this Instant Pot Meatloaf Mashed Potatoes will seriously rock your world!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Instant Pot Meatloaf Mashed Potatoes
Make a whole nutritious dinner in one pot with this quick and easy Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes recipe!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
For the Meatloaf:
- 2 lb. ground beef (I used a lean ground beef)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup honey bbq sauce
For the Meatloaf Topping:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1/3 cup ketchup
For the potatoes:
- 3 lbs. yellow potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by laying the quartered potatoes in the bottom of your pressure cooker in an even layer. Pour the chicken broth over the top. Lay the rack that comes with your pressure cooker over the top so it lays flat.
- Combine the ingredients for the meatloaf (minus the topping) in a large bowl until fully combined. Shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place on a piece of tinfoil. Shape the tinfoil up and around the edges of the meatloaf, creating a pocket for it. Place the meatloaf on top of the rack in the pressure cooker and secure lid.
- Ensure that the steam release is closed and turn pressure cooker to Manual mode for 20 to 25 minutes*. Once finished cooking, use the quick release method to let the steam escape. Check meatloaf for internal temperature of 155 degrees F.
- Carefully lift the meatloaf out of the pressure cooker and place on a baking sheet. Mix the ingredients for the topping and brush all over the meatloaf. Place meatloaf under the broiler for just 3 to 4 minutes, until the top is bubbly and caramelized.
- Meanwhile add the remaining ingredients (half and half, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper) to the instant pot and mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Serve the meatloaf in slices with the mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Some people are finding that 20 minutes is not enough time to fully cook their meatloaf. I use an 8 quart Instant Pot for this recipe and 20 minutes works great. If your IP is smaller, try increasing the time up to 25 minutes. If it’s still not cooked in the center, you can finish it in the oven at 350 degrees. Once it’s cooked through finish with the topping and broil.
Keywords: instant pot, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, ground beef
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!