Juicy chicken and melted cheese wrapped in a crispy flour tortilla, dinner doesn’t get any better than this. One bite of these Pollo Fundido Flautas will have you reaching for more.
These crispy chicken flautas come out golden brown and oozing melted cheddar cheese for an easy dinner that’ll please the whole family. Who doesn’t love a handheld meal?
Pollo Fundido Flautas
Also known as taquitos or rolled tacos, traditional flautas are made with a larger flour tortilla then filled with meat and cheese and fried.
My recipe is baked in the oven for a slightly healthier take on this classic dish.
Ingredients for Pollo Fundido Flautas
I love that this recipe comes together with just 15 minutes prep time, which means I can have dinner on the table before the kids can even start asking, “Is it ready yet?” With just a few fresh and simple ingredients, you too can fall in love with these flautas.
- Cream Cheese: Let soften at room temperature for best results.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: I’m using one cup, but the more cheese, the merrier!
- Shredded Chicken: About 1 1/2 cups.
- Green Onions: I love the mild flavor and pop of color!
- Salt: Never go without it.
- Garlic Powder: This is basically a staple for any recipe.
- Flour Tortillas: Soft flour tortillas work best for this recipe.
How to Make Pollo Fundido Flautas
Trust me, you’ll be surprised at just how easy this comes together.
PREHEAT AND PREPARE
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spritz with non-stick spray and set aside.
Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, crushed red pepper, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
Spread a heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture onto a soft taco tortilla then top with about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken. Roll up the tortilla and place it on the prepared baking sheet with the seam side down. Repeat for the remaining tortillas and spray them with cooking spray.
PRO TIP: Any leftover filling makes an excellent creamy cheese dip for tortilla chips!
Bake for 13-15 minutes. Turn the flautas over and bake for an additional 7 minutes until browned evenly.
Pick up and take a bite! You deserve a taste test.
Mix It Up
What I love about Mexican food is that you can use so many of the same ingredients and turn them into a magical new dish every time! Here are a few of my favorite ways to switch up these flautas.
- Feel free to use corn tortillas if you prefer! You can also use gluten-free or cassava flour tortillas too.
- Swap out the shredded chicken for chicken strips, ground beef, shredded beef, or your choice of beans for a vegetarian take.
- Turn these into chicken enchiladas by adding your favorite red enchilada sauce or green sauce!
- This mixture would also be great in a chicken burrito or on top of a crispy tortilla bowl.
- And, of course, I love to have my favorite taco toppings on hand like sour cream, pico de gallo, bell peppers, and fresh limes for a squeeze of lime juice before every bite!
What is Pollo Fundido?
Pollo fundido translates to “melted chicken” and is typically made from combing shredded chicken and jalapeño cream cheese.
Can I make Pollo Fundido Flautas ahead of time?
Of course! As long as they’re stored in an airtight container, these flautas should keep for up to three days! I recommend heating them up in 30 second intervals in the microwave before serving. You could also pour enchilada sauce over the top and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until warmed through for a new flavor profile.
How are flautas different from enchiladas or chimichangas?
Enchiladas are typically made with corn tortillas and drenched in a delicious sauce before being baked, while chimichangas are deep-fried burritos. Both are just as delicious!
What to Serve with Pollo Fundido Flautas
Forget Taco Tuesday, it’s all about Flautas Friday! Turn this into a weekly tradition with a few more of my favorite recipes.
Pollo Fundido Flautas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spritz with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, crushed red pepper, salt and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of cream cheese mixture onto a flour tortilla, top with about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken. Roll up tortilla and place on prepared baking sheet seam side down. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Spray rolls with cooking spray.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes. Turn flautas over and bake for an additional 7 minutes, till browned evenly. Serve warm and enjoy!!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: