Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup is filled with ground sausage and tender tortellini in a creamy soup base that’s to die for.
The best thing about this tortellini soup recipe is that it’s done in about 30 minutes. A super quick and easy weeknight dinner is always a win in my book!
Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup
This is a tortellini soup with sausage in it, adding a LOT of flavor and making the soup even more cozy and filling. Since vegetables like peppers and spinach are added as well, it makes a complete meal!
Ingredients Needed for Creamy Tortellini Soup
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Olive Oil
- Onion – yellow or white
- Ground Sausage – hot or mild
- Chicken Broth
- Alfredo Sauce – jarred (or homemade will work too!)
- Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Tortellini – cheese filled
- Baby Spinach
- Parmesan Cheese – for topping
How To Make Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup
Creamy tortellini soup is so easy to whip up! Once the veggies are cooked, the creamy base and tortellini is all that’s needed to finish the soup.
COOK THE VEGETABLES
Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil and cook the bell pepper, onion and sausage until the sausage is nice and browned and no longer pink.
Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
MAKE SOUP BASE
To the cooked vegetables and sausage, add the chicken broth and jar of Alfredo sauce, with the Italian seasoning and black pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil and add the cheese-filled tortellini, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 7-9 minutes.
After the tortellini is cooked and tender, stir in the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
PRO TIP: Adding the spinach last helps prevent it from becoming overcooked.
Spoon the soup into bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Can You Make This Ahead?
Yes! This soup is easy to make ahead. This is what I recommend…
- Prepare the tortellini soup with the sausage, pepper, onion, spices, broth, and alfredo sauce, but don’t add the tortellini and spinach. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- When ready to finish, transfer the soup base to a pot and add tortellini, then the fresh spinach as directed in the recipe.
What Goes Well With Tortellini Soup:
This is a fantastic soup to have with a classic green salad and Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing, but here are a few more ideas…
Tips And Variations
Here are a few ways to customize sausage tortellini soup to your tastes.
- Use a mild sausage if you want this soup with less spice.
- Swap out the sausage for shredded chicken for a different flavor!
- More spicy? Add a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes if you need more of a kick!
- Use any variety of filled tortellini you like. Sausage or spinach filled, cheese filled, etc.
More Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes
Easy Italian recipes are my jam! Here are a few of our favorites to try…
- Pesto Spaghetti Carbonara
- Quick Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- Italian Beef and Rice Skillet
- Chicken Alfredo Recipe
This rich and creamy tortellini soup recipe is sure to be a family favorite, I can’t wait for you to try it!
Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 lb ground hot sausage
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 32 oz chicken broth, low sodium
- 15 oz alfredo sauce, jarred
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 9 oz cheese filled tortellini, refrigerated
- 5 oz baby spinach, leaves
- parmesan cheese, if desired for topping soup
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil and cook the bell pepper, onion and sausage until the sausage is browned and no longer pink. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in the chicken broth and jarred Alfredo sauce, as well as the italian seasoning and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and add in the cheese filled tortellini. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tortellini is tender.
- Stir in the spinach, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes, until the spinach is wilted. Spoon the soup into bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!