This hearty Italian Beef and Rice Skillet is made in less than 30 minutes and perfect for your busy weeknight!
My family LOVED this Italian Beef and Rice Skillet! I basically took the same idea as my Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet and switched up the flavor profiles for another unique and delicious dinner.
I wasn’t necessarily going for an “Italian” flavor profile when I set out to switch up this dish, but when I started playing around with different liquids and veggies to add, it all just fell into place.
If you didn’t want to use rice in this dish, you could totally swap it out for a smaller pasta. I just loved making rice skillets because my kids are huge fans of rice and it’s fairly cheap to make.
Ground Beef and Rice Skillet Variations:
- Feel free to swap out the rice for a smaller pasta
- Use your favorite type of veggies in place of the peas and carrots – green beans, broccoli or zucchini would be nice!
- For a saucier dish, try adding in 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Use a combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese to top the skillet for an extra cheesy dish!
One of my favorite things about this dish is that I pretty much have all these ingredients on hand at any time.
I always keep ground beef in the freezer as well as a frozen veggie mix. We always have canned tomatoes and beef broth (you could use beef bouillon and water in place of the broth), and of course always have rice on hand too. So really, this is an easy dinner that I can whip up when I am in a pinch and need a quick dinner that I know my kids will love.
Not only is this dish super easy to make, but my kids absolutely LOVED it! We served it with garlic bread and a spinach side salad.
Yes, even my kids like spinach salads… I’m lucky like that.
Italian Beef and Rice Skillet
I know you’re going to love this quick and easy ground beef recipe too!Print
Italian Beef and Rice Skillet
This hearty and cheesy Italian Beef and Rice Skillet is ready in less than 30 minutes for an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies (peas and carrots)
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet until no longer pink, drain any excess fat.
- Return skillet to stove top and add in the tomatoes, mixed veggies, rice, beef broth, oregano, garlic salt, basil and pepper. Stir until combined and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook until rice is tender (about 17 minutes).
- Fluff rice with fork and top with the mozzarella cheese. Cover with the lid for about 3 minutes to let cheese melt. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
You can substitute 1 cup of small pasta (shells, macaroni, etc) for the rice if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: