This easy Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup is a thick, hearty soup recipe that comes together in less than 25 minutes.
If you love this creamy soup, you’ll also love my Chicken Tortilla Soup.
With just a few small tweaks, it’s EXACTLY like the Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup from Chili’s.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
Simple ingredients like Mexican spices, masa harina, enchilada sauce, Velveeta cheese, and shredded chicken unite to create an easy enchilada soup recipe the whole family will love! On top of that, you can top your soup with your favorite toppings like tortilla strips, sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, hot sauce, and more!
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to whip up Chicken Enchilada Soup. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Masa Harina – a yellow corn flour, found in the Mexican aisle of your grocery store.
- Enchilada sauce – try my homemade version for the best flavor!
- Velveeta cheese
- Chicken – I buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli and pull the chicken off the bones. You can also cook boneless skinless chicken breasts and shred them.
- Tortilla strips
- Sour cream
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
Quick and easy enchilada soup is super easy to make and only takes 30 minutes!
Heat a large pot (preferably 12 quarts) over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and allow it to heat up. Once it’s sizzling, toss in the diced onions and aromatic spices. Sauté this fragrant mix until the onions become soft and translucent, which usually takes about 5 minutes.
CREATE THE SOUP BASE
In a separate bowl, combine the Masa Harina and 4 cups of chicken broth. Whisk it thoroughly until everything blends together. Next, carefully pour this mixture into the large pot. Keep stirring constantly as it cooks for about 2-3 minutes until the soup thickens.
ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS
Next, add in the remaining chicken broth, enchilada sauce, and crushed tomatoes. Give it a good stir and bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
MELT THE CHEESE
Stir in the cubed Velveeta cheese until it melts. Then, add the shredded chicken. Stir to combine.
SERVE AND ENJOY
Serve up this delicious soup with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of tortilla strips. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- If you’re feeling fancy, try making your own enchilada sauce from scratch!
- Want to add a slight kick? Add some green chiles to the soup for a little extra spice!
Make Ahead and Storage
- This creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is best made the day of but if you’re in a pinch, you can make it 1-2 days beforehand. Reheat in a large pot and serve. For a quicker option, reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warm.
- Chicken Enchilada soup is also freezer-friendly. Freeze in individual containers for up to 3 months. Drop the frozen soup in a pot and reheat until warm.
- Place any leftover Chicken Enchilada Soup in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you’re ready to eat it, pour it into a small saucepan and reheat until warm.
Can I make this easy recipe in a crock pot?
Absolutely! In order to make this recipe in the slow cooker, you’ll want to:
- Sauté your onions and spices ahead of time, then add them to the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the chicken broth and masa harina so there are no clumps, then pour this into the slow cooker.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, enchilada sauce and chicken, then cook on LOW heat for 6 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the velveeta cheese and cook an additional 30 minutes, stirring frequently until the cheese is melted into the soup.
Can I use green enchilada sauce instead of red?
Yes! Try this recipe using my homemade Green Enchilada sauce in place of the red enchilada sauce.
How can I thicken my enchilada soup?
If you follow the directions while making this soup, you should end up with a nicely thickened soup. The masa harina will help to give this soup the perfect consistency. If you feel like you would like you soup thicker, feel free to make cornstarch slurry with 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch and 1/4 cup water or chicken broth and pour it in the soup as it’s cooking.
More Soup Recipes
If you loved this tender Chicken Enchilada Soup, then you’ll love these dreamy soup recipes…
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Quick Tomato Soup Recipe
- Creamy Tuscan Tortellini Soup
This filling soup will warm you up any night of the week! Whether you need a delicious recipe in a pinch or want to add to your favorite soup recipes, this Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is for you! If you try this recipe, please leave a comment down below!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Masa Harina, found in the Mexican aisle of your grocery store
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz enchilada sauce
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 cups chicken, shredded (I buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli and pull the chicken off the bones)
- Tortilla strips
- Sour cream
- Heat a LARGE (12 quart preferably) pot over medium high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once hot, add the onions and spices and saute until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine the Masa harina with 4 cups of chicken broth and whisk until combined. Pour mixture into the large pot, and stir constantly, cooking, for 2-3 minutes. Mixture will become thick.
- Pour in the remaining chicken broth, enchilada sauce and crushed tomatoes, stir and bring to a boil.
- Add the cubed Velveeta cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Serve topped with sour cream and tortilla strips. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: