This Quick Tomato Soup Recipe uses canned tomatoes for a fast and flavorful soup that’s perfect with a toasty grilled cheese sandwich.
We love to top this soup with parmesan cheese and freshly sliced basil when it’s in season.
We’re getting a cold front this week and there is nothing that sounds better than a bowl of warm soup and a cozy fire.
Luckily this quick tomato soup recipe only takes a few minutes to whip up and all of my kids love it.
Quick Tomato Soup Recipe
No need to roast tomatoes in the oven for this recipe, we’re using stewed and crushed tomatoes from the can for the base of our soup.
Ingredients Needed for Tomato Soup
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this warm tomato basil soup. As always you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Onion – I prefer a yellow onion for it’s sweeter taste in this recipe
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Stewed Tomatoes
- Chicken Stock
- Dried Basil – if using fresh, use twice the amount listed
- Sugar – to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes
- Heavy Cream – to give it a nice balanced consistency and flavor
- Parmesan Cheese – freshly grated
How To Make a Quick Tomato Soup
Let me show you how easy it is to make this quick tomato soup!
Start by melting some butter in a medium to large pot over medium-high heat. Once it’s melted add in the onion and sauté until the onion is translucent and tender, this should take about 10 minutes.
Toss in the freshly chopped garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
STIR IN TOMATOES
Once the onion and garlic have cooked, stir in the canned tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, sugar and black pepper.
Bring the mixture to a simmer for another 10 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally.
Once the soup has simmered and flavors have combined, carefully transfer the soup to a blender (working in batches if needed).
Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender if you have one.
Blend the soup until it’s smooth in consistency, then return the soup to the pot over medium-low heat.
PRO TIP – If you like your tomato soup with more consistency, don’t blend it all the way smooth.
ADD CREAM AND CHEESE
Finish off the quick tomato soup by stirring in heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
The heavy cream and parmesan soup add a nice richness to the tomato soup that makes it extra creamy and a little nutty.
Once the cream and cheese have melted into the tomato soup you’re ready to serve!
This smooth and creamy soup is perfect with a toasty grilled cheese sandwich.
Sometimes I like to top it with goldfish crackers for a little extra crunch and cheesy flavor.
Recipe Questions and Answers
Here are a couple commonly asked questions and answers about tomato soup…
WHY IS SUGAR IN TOMATO SOUP?
The sugar in tomato soup doesn’t make it sweet. It counteracts the acidity from the tomatoes, so don’t skip it!
DO I DRAIN THE CANNED TOMATOES?
No need to drain the juice from the canned tomatoes, we’ll use all of it to help create the soup base.
WHY IS MY TOMATO SOUP LUMPY or CURDLED?
Remember above when I said we needed to add sugar to counteract the acidity in tomatoes? If you skipped this step or your tomatoes are extra acidic, when adding the heavy cream in, it could cause your soup to curdle.
The solution is to make sure your soup isn’t too acidic before adding the cream. Taste the soup as you cook, add a little more sugar if needed.
DON’T BOIL, ONLY SIMMER!
Make sure you don’t bring the mixture to a boil, but rather keep it at a low simmer. Boiling the soup will take away from the amazing flavor you’re developing.
WHAT CAN I SWAP FOR HEAVY CREAM?
You can try using evaporated milk in place of the heavy cream, but it won’t give you the same results as this recipe. I recommend keeping the heavy cream in there.
CAN YOU FREEZE TOMATO SOUP?
YES!! This soup freezes beautifully for up to 3 months.
PRO TIP: I love using my new Souper Cubes to freeze them in individual portions to heat up later.
What To Pair With Tomato Soup
You can never go wrong with a classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Tomato Soup. It’s the Batman and Robin of the food world.
Here are a few more tasty ideas to pair with a classic tomato soup…
More Quick Soup Recipes
When it’s soup season, I’m all about a quick and easy recipe. Here are some more quick soup recipes I’m sure you’ll love…
I think you’re going to enjoy this soup and want to make it over and over again!
Quick Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 Blender
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, canned
- 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes, canned
- 14.5 oz chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- fresh basil, for garnish *optional
- In a medium size pot heat butter over medium-high heat. Once melted, add in the onion and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, sugar and black pepper. Bring to a simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully transfer soup ingredients to a blender (working in batches if needed), or use an immersion blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency.
- Return the soup to the pot over medium heat and stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is blended into the soup. Serve with extra parmesan cheese on top and freshly chopped basil if desired. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE:
ive tried alot of tomato soup recipes and so far this has been the best one. i didnt alter a single thing, stuck to the recipe 100%. i was concerned there was no salt in it, but i can tell you it didnt need a single bit! Super delicious, even my Kid who is super picky loved it, and has requested it for dinner every night lol