I love a good roll. So when I found this recipe for Airy Cheese Rolls in my friend Pat’s collection of recipes, I knew I needed to try it.
Airy. Cheese. Rolls.
How could you not want a big bite of that?!
These rolls combine two of my favorite things.
Cheese and bread. In a light and airy little bundle no less!
Over the past couple months I have gotten the pleasure to get to know Pat with her spunky and fun personality. Just a couple days ago her sons came in town, packed up the rest of her belongings in a large moving truck and took my friend away. I was sad to see her go, but I am happy she will be closer to her loving family.
Isn’t she just the cutest thing ever?!
Before I start to tear up, let’s get back to these rolls…
These Airy Cheese Rolls have cheese blended right into the dough!
Sharp Cheddar is our favorite type of cheese, and this recipe calls for sharp cheddar, it was a match made in heaven. I’m sure you could substitute the cheddar for another cheese, but the aroma of baked sharp cheddar is just magical.
The process is fairly easy, but since it does require yeast, it does take a bit of time to make these. So plan ahead.
I’m thinking to give these even more cheese flavor, you could add some shredded cheddar cheese after the first rise.
I would break off little bits of dough to make the rolls and fold in some more shredded cheddar cheese, then place it into the muffin tin for a second rise.
These rolls are deliciously light and fluffy on the inside, and have that baked cheddar aroma that draws you in from outside.
They are best served warm, right out of the oven, with a little bit of butter.
Good thing this recipe makes 2 dozen rolls, because they go fast!Print
Airy Cheese Rolls
Airy Cheese Rolls are deliciously light and fluffy on the inside, and have that baked cheddar aroma that draws you in from outside.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 rolls 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- In a small saucepan heat the milk over medium high heat until it just starts to bubble around the sides of the pan. Turn it off and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add the cheese, sugar, shortening, salt and milk. Beat slowly until the cheese is melted. Let cool till lukewarm.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine the yeast and warm water. Let sit until the yeast has softened, and began to foam up a bit.
- In the bowl with the cheese mixture, remove the paddle attachment and replace with your dough hook. Once the mixture is lukewarm add two cups of the flour. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add egg, yeast, corn meal and remaining flour. Beat for an additional two minutes.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until the dough doubles in size, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Punch down the dough, break into 24 equal size balls and place into lightly greased muffin tins. Cover and let rise till doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light and golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy immediately.
Keywords: cheddar, rolls