This Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich has a crispy golden brown crust and a blend of three delicious cheeses on the inside.
When you’re in the mood for a sandwich, this grilled cheese recipe hits the spot and is the perfect blend of melty and crispy! It’s our favorite with a cozy bowl of Quick Tomato Soup.
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A hot toasted sandwich like this gourmet grilled cheese is perfect in all seasons. We love a good Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich or a Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich, but a classic grilled cheese is beloved by the whole family. This is the BEST grilled cheese recipe, it was developed with cheeses with awesome flavor (cheddar is the best!) and amazing melty textures.
Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese
This recipe uses a combination of cheddar, muenster, or havarti, but you could use just one if you prefer. Here is a few other cheeses that would work well.
- Gruyere – great flavor and melting power.
- Gouda – the regular or smoked variety taste amazing, and melt well.
- Provolone – similar to mozzarella but slightly sharper to the palate.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need for the best grilled cheese sandwich EVER. As always, you can find the full printable recipe located in the recipe card below.
- Artisan Bread – Ciabatta, french bread, and sourdough all work well for this recipe.
- Mayo – for flavor and texture.
- Butter – makes the best crispy golden brown crust!
- Havarti Cheese – a mild, flavored, slightly salty cheese that is extra melty and delicious!
- Mild Cheddar Cheese – really delicious classic flavor for this sandwich. A must-have for any grilled cheese!
- Muenster Cheese – another great melting cheese with a subtle flavor.
How to Make the Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Here’s the step by step walk through of how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich you’ll ever have! All you need is a spatula and a griddle or a heavy-bottomed skillet that heats evenly.
Heat a non-stick griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
PRO TIP: Keeping the heat low to medium helps prevent the bread from burning before the cheese inside is nice and melted.
Spread the Bread with Mayo
Slather the bread slices with mayo on one side. (1 Tablespoon per piece of bread. )
Add butter to the griddle or pan and let it melt. Place two slices of bread, mayo-side down in the butter.
Add the Cheese
Top each slice of bread with 1 oz of Havarti, cheddar, and muenster cheese. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayo-side up, on top of the cheese.
Cook Until Browned
Cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and crisp on the bottom, about 2 minutes, then carefully flip over and cook another 2 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown. Once the cheese is melted, remove it from the pan and enjoy!
Tips For The Best Grilled Cheese
- Use an artisan bread or thicker sliced bread like Texas toast. Keep in mind, if the bread is sliced too thickly, the cheese won’t melt properly.
- Cook it low and slow on a heavy-bottomed frying pan or griddle for the best results. A thicker pan will heat more evenly, toasting the bread to a nice golden brown.
- Don’t skip the MAYO! It’s important for those golden crispy edges.
#1 Secret for Ultimate Grilled Cheese Experience
It’s the Mayonnaise guys!!
Don’t just spread butter on the outside of the bread anymore. Use mayo instead. It doesn’t burn like butter and it’s ultra flavorful and so delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a grilled cheese actually grilled?
Not usually on a gas or coal grill, as it can burn the bread before the cheese is melted. However, it could be done if the heat is turned low to prevent burning.
Mayo or butter?
This recipe uses both! The mayo brings rich and delicious flavor to the outside of the bread, while the butter gives it a nice nutty flavor when toasted.
Can I use Miracle Whip instead of Mayo?
I wouldn’t recommend swapping miracle whip with mayo for this grilled cheese recipe. Miracle whip is much more sweet and might give the sandwich a different flavor.
How to make grilled cheese better?
A few simple tweaks can amp up your grilled cheese game. Avocado slices, olives, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, or peppers are just a few that you could try!
Can I make this ahead?
This grilled cheese sandwich is so simple and quick to make, I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s best served fresh and warm!
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
There are so many options! I love a good Simple Coleslaw or fresh green salad with grilled cheese, but here are a few other favorites to try…
This sandwich is a cozy meal that is wonderful in all seasons. It’s warm for cold weather and doesn’t heat up the house in the summer! Let me know how you like it!
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices artisan bread, example: ciabatta, french, sourdough, etc.
- 4 tbsp mayo, divided
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 oz. Havarti Cheese, sliced, divided
- 2 oz. mild cheddar cheese, sliced, divided
- 2 oz. Muenster Cheese, sliced, divided
- Heat a non-stick griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Slather the bread slices with mayo on one side (1 tbsp per piece of bread).
- Add butter to the griddle or pan and let melt. Place two slices of bread, mayo-side down in the butter. Top each slice of bread with 1 oz of havarti, cheddar and muenster cheese. Place the remaining slice of bread, mayo-side up on top of the cheese.
- Cook the sandwiches until the bread is golden brown and crisp on the bottom, about 2 minutes, then carefully flip over and cook another 2 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown. Once cheese is melted, remove from the pan and enjoy!
Amazing… enough said!
Thank you! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!