These Sautéed Brussels Sprouts and Bacon are a quick and easy side dish recipe that’s ready in about 15 minutes!
What I love most about this super simple recipe is that you just need 3 main ingredients (plus salt and pepper), just a few minutes of prep and you have a super simple side dish that everyone will enjoy. Even my kids gobble this up!
How To Make Brussels Sprouts and Bacon:
- Start by crisping up some chopped bacon in a cast iron skillet until the fat is almost all rendered.
- Toss in the sliced onion and halved (or quartered) Brussels Sprouts.
- Stir every few minutes until the sprouts and onions have caramelized, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
How To Trim Brussels Sprouts:
It’s really easy to trim up these small cabbage-looking vegetables! Follow these simple steps:
- Start by cutting off the ends that look brown and stumpy, to reveal a brighter green end.
- Peel back any outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts that are browned or blemished and discard.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the Brussels sprouts in half along, perpendicular to the stem (as pictured above).
What Is The Best Way To Cook Brussels Sprouts?
There are so many options when it comes to cooking Brussels Sprouts, but caramelizing them, like we do in this recipe, brings out a delicious flavor that even the pickiest of eaters can enjoy.
- The trick is to use a heavy bottomed skillet, such as cast iron, so it can hold in the high heat and really give the Brussels Sprouts that beautiful char and caramelization.
- If you only have a non-stick skillet, make sure you increase the heat a little extra and try to not stir very frequently to allow the vegetables time to char.
- The texture of the Brussels Sprouts will be a crisp-tender, not extremely soft. If you prefer your Brussels Sprouts softer, you can boil or steam them for a few minute prior to tossing them in the bacon grease.
More Recipes for Brussels Sprouts:
- Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Curry Roasted Chicken and Brussels Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts Stuffing
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
- 1 lb. Brussel Sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 8 oz bacon, thick cut, chopped
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water with a steamer basket on top to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cover. Let them steam for about 5 to 10 minutes, until slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, add bacon and onion slices to a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon until the fat is rendered, and bacon is starting to crisp.
- Remove the Brussels sprouts from the steamer basket and add into the pan with the bacon and onion. Let the Brussels sprouts brown and caramelize in the bacon drippings for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and then serve immediately. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: