These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are seasoned with a simple blend of spices and cook up nice and crispy in the air fryer.
We love to serve these up with some Cheesy Garlic Roasted Asparagus, buttered corn, or Easy Rainbow Roasted Vegetables for a complete and hearty family dinner! I LOVE that I don’t have to heat up the house with the oven to make chicken thighs in the air fryer.
Chicken made in an air fryer tastes just like deep-fried, but is much healthier! A light coat of olive oil is all you need to make the lovely herbs and spices blend into the chicken as it cooks. It’s amazing!
Air Fryer Chicken Thigh Recipe
Cooking chicken in the air fryer is so simple, but you can go as fancy as you like with the spices. I like to use chicken thighs with the bone-in, because bone-in meat makes the meat so tender and juicy when it’s cooked. Just like my amazing Air Fryer Ribs, you won’t go back after making chicken this way!
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need to whip up Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Chicken Thighs – bone in, skin on
- Thyme – dried
- Oregano – dried
- Paprika – sweet or smoked
- Garlic & Onion Powder
- Salt & Pepper
How to Make Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
It’s so quick to prep the chicken thighs, and then all that’s left is to cook them in the air fryer. Make sure you pre-heat the air fryer while you’re prepping the chicken to be efficient with time.
In a large bowl or zip close bag, cover the chicken with olive oil and make sure to coat it completely.
Add the seasoning to the chicken and toss it to coat it completely in the spices.
Don’t be afraid to mix it with your hands to get the seasoning all over every piece, especially on and under the skin.
Place the chicken thighs in the basket of the air fryer and make sure the chicken thighs don’t overlap.
Cook the chicken for 20-24 minutes, flipping the chicken thighs over halfway. Check the internal temperature of the chicken at the thickets portion to make sure it reaches 165℉.
Sometimes the chicken thighs are larger and smaller sizes, and the larger ones may need a few more minutes to cook. You can remove smaller thighs that reach 165 ℉ and let them rest under foil.
Once all thighs are cooked through, remove from air fryer and let rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.
PRO TIP: Resting the chicken under foil helps all of the lovely juices to redistribute into the meat, making it extra flavorful and not dried out.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Make sure you check the internal temperature of the chicken close to the bone to get an accurate reading. An instant thermometer works great!
- You can substitute any of the spices with your favorites. Oregano for sage, thyme for parsley, etc.
- If you don’t like the skin on the chicken, you can take them off before coating in olive oil and spices. They are very delicious when they’re crispy though!
Make Ahead and Storage
Refrigerate: Any leftovers can be cooled and transferred to an air tight container, then refrigerated for up to 4 days before reheating. Reheat in the air fryer to make it crispy again!
Freeze: You can prepare the raw chicken breasts with olive oil and seasoning then freeze for up to 3 months before thawing and cooking.
Freezing leftovers is easy! Just cool, transfer to freezer safe container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes! This recipe uses raw chicken thighs. Air fryers can be used for much more than pre-cooked chicken nuggets!
It depends on the size and cut of the chicken. Breasts can take anywhere from 18-24 minutes, and thighs with bone in usually take 20-24 minutes.
Make sure you coat the chicken in a neutral oil first to prevent sticking! Then coat with desired seasoning and cook as directed in the recipe card below.
This recipe cooks at 400 ℉ to get the optimal crispy skin on the outside and juicy insides, without taking too long to cook.
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
You can NEVER have enough easy chicken dinner recipes on hand. We love to try new ones, I hope you give at least one of these a try!
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Bang Bang Chicken
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
If you love this recipe, don’t forget to leave a comment and tell me how it goes! I hope you enjoy this amazing juicy air fryer chicken thigh recipe as much as we do!
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the olive oil with the chicken thighs in a large bowl or zip-close bag. Make sure to coat all of the chicken thighs with the oil.
- Add the seasoning to the chicken and coat completely. Place the chicken thighs in the basket of your air fryer, making sure they chicken thighs don't overlap. Cook for 20- 24 minutes, flipping the chicken thighs over halfway.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken at the thickest portion to make sure it reaches 165 degrees F. Once cooked through, remove from air fryer and let rest for 5 minutes before enjoying.