This Tuna Noodle Skillet Casserole is classic comfort food made easy and right in ONE SKILLET!
There are quite a few dishes from my childhood that I look back on and remember fondly.
Tuna Noodle Casserole was one of them. My mom would make it often, and now that I’m a mom, I too make it often.
Lately we’ve been working on amping up our food storage supply.
It’s something that our Church promotes, and I just think it’s a great idea. We stock up on foods that have a longer shelf life, so when hard times come we’re prepared.
I don’t just let the food sit on the shelves in my basement though. I rotate through them constantly.
That way I’m not left with 8 year old cans of cream of mushroom soup… it’s happened.
And yes, I have a dedicated room in my basement for food storage. I can’t take all the credit for it though. The family that we bought this house from built an awesome shelving unit in the basement, and now I get to use it!
So what I love about this super quick and easy weeknight dinner, is that I’ve taken that classic casserole and turned it into a one skillet meal!
The noodles are cooked right in the creamy broth, resulting in an extra creamy base.
It’s like you’re mom’s casserole… only better!
Oh… and I also added some cheese…
You can leave that out, but hey… cheese is good.
My mom would always put some cheese on top of our casserole. 🙂
Also… that crispy and garlic infused topping? Crushed up croutons!!
Seriously, it doesn’t get any easier than this!
If you’re like me, you probably already have the majority of these ingredients hanging out in your basement… or pantry… whatever.
I’m pretty sure tuna lasts forever.
Tuna Noodle Skillet Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups chicken broth, or water
- 8 oz. egg noodles, 4 cups
- 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups carrots and peas, frozen
- 12 oz. can white tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup marbled cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup garlic croutons, crushed
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Saute onion until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth (or water) and soup and whisk until combined. Stir in the egg noodles and frozen vegetables. Bring mixture to a small boil and then reduce heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally until the noodles are tender and the sauce has reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Flake the tuna with a fork and gently fold into the pasta. Top the pasta with the cheese and simmer, covered until cheese melts and tuna is heated through.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the crushed croutons and serve. Enjoy!