This super easy Mongolian Beef Recipe is filled with crispy and tender strips of steak in a sweet and savory sauce, ready in 30 minutes or less!
I’m seriously obsessed with the flavors in this Asian take-out copycat recipe. It’s a super simple dish comprised of crispy and tender steak strips, a finger-licking-good sauce and green onions, ready in UNDER 30 MINUTES, making it a quick weeknight favorite.
Serve family style with some steamed rice and chicken egg rolls and dinner is ready!
Mongolian Beef Recipe:
- Start by thinly slicing your steak and tossing them in cornstarch.
- Quickly pan fry the strips of steak in hot oil then remove and set aside to make the quick sauce.
- Toss some garlic in the hot pan, then pour in the sauce ingredients and cook until thickened.
- Add the steak strips back in the sauce along with the green onions and stir to coat.
What Type Of Beef To Use for Mongolian Beef?
For this recipe I’m using a top sirloin steak that I’ve pounded thin, then sliced into thin strips against the grain. Here is a list of steaks you could use to make Mongolian Beef.
- Top Sirloin
- Flank Steak
- Ground Beef – Yes! You can even use ground beef by following my RECIPE HERE.
Tips For Making the BEST Mongolian Beef:
- Avoid using a tougher cut of steak like stew meat.
- Always cut the steak strips AGAINST the grain of the meat to make sure you’ll end up with the most tender bites of steak.
- To get really thin strips of steak, try freezing the steak first, then cutting into strips while still slightly frozen.
- Make sure you’re doing just a quick sear on the steak to avoid over cooking.
- Cook in batches and try to not overcrowd the pan.
What To Serve with Mongolian Beef
I would definitely serve this easy dish with some steamed white or brown rice. I’ve made the recipe extra saucy so it’s perfect to drizzle over the rice and let the sweet and savory sauce soak in. Here are some more easy dishes to make with Mongolian Beef.
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes! You can definitely double this recipe to feed a larger crowd. Check out the (2x and 3x) option in the recipe box below to adjust the recipe to your needs.
PRO TIP: Try adding steamed vegetables to the Mongolian Beef the bulk it up. We’ll frequently add in steamed broccoli, carrots or snap peas to give it more substance.
More Asian Inspired Recipes To Try
Looking for more deliciously quick Asian inspired recipes to try at home? These are some of our favorites:
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe
Super Easy Mongolian Beef Recipe
- 1 lb. top sirloin steak, pounded thin and cut into ½ inch strips
- 3 tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add in the canola oil. Toss the steak strips in 2 tbsp cornstarch and cook in the hot oil in batches, searing the steak on each side for about 30 seconds. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, hoisin, water and 1 tbsp cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk till combined.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the sauce mixture and cook until sauce begins to thicken. Add the steak back into the sauce and season with red pepper flakes, black pepper and the green onions. Serve hot over hot rice and enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: