This Pesto Tortellini and Asparagus Skillet is bursting with flavor, tender asparagus, juicy tomatoes, and cheese filled tortellini pasta.
We like to serve this dinner with my Garlic Parmesan Breadsticks or even by itself as a complete easy family dinner!
Are you obsessed with easy skillet dinners like I am? This is a perfect weeknight meal because it only takes 20 minutes to prepare!
Pesto Tortellini and Asparagus Skillet
Cheese filled tortellini are the BEST for this recipe, but you can use any kind you’d like!
The asparagus and fresh juicy cherry tomatoes give this warm pasta dish a lovely pop of flavor.
Here’s the basic list of the ingredients you’ll need in order to make this recipe. As always, you can find the full printable recipe located in the recipe card below.
- Cheese Filled Tortellini – found in the refrigerated section
- Olive Oil
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Basil Pesto Sauce – try my easy homemade pesto
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Parmesan Cheese -freshly grated
How to Make a Pesto Tortellini and Asparagus Skillet
I love this recipe because you can make a quick and easy, AMAZING Italian dinner in a very short amount of time!
BOIL TORTELLINI start by boiling a large pot of water and cooking tortellini according to package instructions. *Make sure to reserve pasta water for the sauce before draining!
COOK VEGETABLES while the tortellini is cooking, cook asparagus and tomatoes in a skillet until asparagus is tender-crisp and tomatoes are caramelized and fragrant. Add in garlic.
ADD THE PASTA Add the cooked tortellini to the skillet, along with the reserved pasta water, basil pesto, salt & pepper, and red pepper flakes. Once everything is heated through, stir in the parmesan cheese and serve!
What Kind Of Pan To Use?
One of the most common questions I get asked is, “what type of pan is that, and where can I get it?”
This is a 3.3 quart cast iron enameled skillet. I found this pan on Amazon several years ago and it’s my absolute favorite. It comes in all sorts of colors and is super affordable and durable. It sells out often, but they restock, so check back if it’s not currently available.
Tips and Variations for Pesto Tortellini and Asparagus Skillet
This recipe is so great because it can easily be modified to fit your taste preferences. Here are a few tips and variations to try…
- Not a fan of spicy? Leave out the red pepper flakes!
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice for a lovely little twist and fresh pop of flavor.
- Try a different kind of filled Tortellini! Spinach, squash, bacon and cheese filled are a few options out there.
PRO TIP: Forget to reserve the pasta water? Use water with a splash of cream for an indulgent, simple sauce.
More Easy Skillet Dinners
I’ve got you covered with more quick and easy skillet dinners! Here are a few of our favorites.
- Lemon Chicken Rice Skillet
- Meat Lover’s Tortellini Skillet
- Chicken Zucchini Pasta Skillet
- Easy Cheeseburger Pasta Skillet
I can’t wait for you to give this easy dinner recipe a try! I know you’re going to love it!
Pesto Tortellini and Asparagus Skillet
- In a large pot of water, cook tortellini pasta according to package instructions, or until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in olive oil. Cook asparagus for about 3 minutes, then add in tomatoes and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes, until asparagus is tender-crisp and tomatoes are lightly charred.
- Toss in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the cooked tortellini, reserved pasta water, basil pesto, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Once heated through, stir in the parmesan cheese and enjoy right away. Top with extra parmesan cheese for serving if desired. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: