This Key Lime Pie is made with creamy condensed milk and plenty of key lime juicy in a graham cracker crust, for the perfect tart and sweet combination.
My super easy key lime pie recipe is just as delicious as my Key Lime No-Bake Cheesecake. Perfect for a cool and refreshing treat during the summer or any holiday.
Easy Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie is an iconic dessert. It’s tangy and refreshing!
We’re making this is Key Lime Pie with sweetened condensed milk, which results in a velvety smooth filling, in a crisp and buttery graham cracker crust, creating a lovely balance of flavors and texture.
What Are Key Limes?
A Key Lime is a type of hybrid lime commonly grown in the Florida Keys. They are usually smaller in size than normal limes and start to turn yellow as they begin to ripen. They taste slightly different than regular limes with a more citrusy flavor, which makes them a lovely variety to use in baking.
If you’re unable to get your hands on key limes, substitute them with a mixture of fresh lemon and lime juice (half lemon, half lime).
Here’s what you’ll need for this simple Key Lime Pie recipe. As always, you can find the full ingredient list in the printable recipe card below.
- Graham Cracker Crust – store-bought is so easy!
- Key Limes
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Sour Cream – full fat
- Whipped Cream – optional for topping
How To Make Key Lime Pie
This easy summer pie recipe starts with a graham cracker crust that is par-baked to firm it up, then making a custard-like sweet filling and baking it to perfection. Once set, its silky smooth texture is king in every slice!
Prepare The Crust
Brush the graham cracker crust lightly with beaten egg white then bake for five minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
PRO TIP: The egg white coating baked into the crust helps seal it and prevent it from getting soggy. It also firms it up for crisper slices that don’t crumble.
Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
Make Key Lime Pie Filling
Meanwhile combine the egg yolks, key lime juice, lime-zest, sweetened condensed milk, and sour cream in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
Transfer to Pie Crust
Make sure the crust is completely cooled, then pour the key lime pie filling into the prepared crust. It should almost fill the pie shell.
Bake for 25-27 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool to room temp, 1-2 hours. It will still be slightly jiggly in the center. The pie will set firmly when chilled.
Chill in the fridge for at least three hours, then serve with whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
PRO TIP: In order for the pie filling to set correctly, the internal baking temperature should get to about 135 degrees. You can always check with an instant-read thermometer.
- Make sure you plan ahead for this pie recipe. Make it at least 4-6 hours before serving so it has enough time to cool and chill properly! Crisp slices depend on it.
- If you’re unable to get key limes, substitute them with a mixture of fresh lemon and lime juice (half lemon, half lime).
How to Store Key Lime Pie
Make Ahead: You can make the pie as directed and chill (covered) for 1-2 days before serving.
Refrigerate: Any leftovers should be refrigerated. They can be stored covered up to 3 days, but the crust will get soggy past 1-2 days.
Freeze: Chill the pie completely before placing in the freezer, uncovered. Once solid, wrap in foil and store in a large zip-close bag for up to 2 months. Defrost in fridge for 24 hours before serving.
More Summer Pie Recipes
These are a few of our favorite easy pies to make in summer. They’re fruity and refreshing!
This delicious Key Lime Pie Recipe is so silky in texture, tangy, and sweet. It’s the perfect summer pie to brighten your day!
Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 9 inch graham cracker pie crust
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup key lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp lime zest
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- Whipped Cream, optional for topping
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the graham cracker pie crust with the lightly beaten egg white, then bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile combine the egg yolks, key lime juice, lime zest, sweetened condensed milk, and sour cream in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Pour into the prepared crust.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until the top is mostly set, but the whole pie is still a little jiggly, then remove from oven and let cool to room temp.
- Chill in fridge for at least three hours, then serve with whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: