I think I know what I want my next cookbook to be about… Muddy Buddies!! Oh the possibilities.
I can pretty much turn any one of your favorite flavors into a Chex mix creation, like these Key Lime Pie Muddy Buddies!
Seriously, though… this is one of the best flavors I have made to date!
You’re probably wondering, how on earth did she get a key lime flavor into this chex mix?
I’m glad you asked!
I infused the powdered sugar coating with lemon and lime gelatin powder! If you didn’t know this already, write it down, when you mix equal amounts lemon juice with lime juice you get a perdy darn close replica to key lime juice.
So… lemon gelatin + lime gelatin = key lime gelatin!
I threw in a bunch of Golden Grahams to replicate the graham cracker crust of a key lime pie.
fact: Golden Grahams is my favorite cereal of all time.
Oh, and National Cereal Day is on March 7th. I think it’s only fitting that you make a big bowl of this deliciousness to celebrate.
Wouldn’t a handful (or three) of this mix just brighten your day?
The tangy flavor pops in your mouth and it is just ultra addictive!
I even zested a lime and threw that in there for an extra punch of flavor.
And then, because I couldn’t resist, I took a picture of it in the shape of a slice of pie..
I don’t care who you are, that’s cute right there! 😉
Key Lime Pie Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Rice Chex, or a mixture of the various Chex cereals
- 1 1/4 cup white chocolate candy melts
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon gelatin powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime gelatin powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Golden Graham cereal
- zest from 1 lime, optional
- Place the Chex cereal in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a large zip close bag combine the lemon and lime gelatin powder with the powdered sugar. Shake to combine.
- Melt the white chocolate candy melts in the microwave according to package instructions. Pour over the cereal and stir to coat. Add the chocolate coated cereal to the bag of powdered sugar (you may have to do this in batches), and shake until coated.
- Spread out on a wax paper lined baking sheet or counter top to cool completely. Scatter the Golden Grahams all over the muddy buddies, and zest the lime on top if desired. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
disclaimer: General Mills generously provided me with cereal, though I was not required to use it in a recipe. All thoughts and opinions here are 100% my own.
You may also enjoy these flavors of Muddy Buddies: