This Creamy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe is a quick and comforting soup that’s filled with hearty ground beef and potatoes.
Easy Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
For this easy soup recipe, I tweaked my Loaded Baked Potato Soup and modified it’s creamy base to fit the flavor profiles I was after.
Ingredients for Cheeseburger Soup
Here’s a quick look at the ingredients you’ll need to make this soup. You can find exact measurements located in the recipe card below.
- Potatoes – regular baking potatoes, or save time by using refrigerated or frozen diced potatoes
- Lean Ground Beef
- Diced Onion
- Baby Carrots, chopped
- Diced Celery
- All Purpose Flour
- Chicken Stock
- Velveeta – you can use regular shredded cheese if you’re opposed to velveeta
- Sour Cream
- Diced Pickles
How To Make Cheeseburger Soup
POTATOES – Wash and scrub the potatoes, then poke them with a fork several times. Pop them in the microwave for 12 to 15 minutes, until tender. Cut the potatoes in half and let them cool slightly before peeling and then dicing.
- Optionally- you can use 3 cups of frozen or refrigerated (cooked) diced potatoes to save a step. Just add them to the soup when stated and cook until heated through.
Potatoes are a great way to bulk up the soup and make it nice and hearty.
HAMBURGER – Meanwhile, brown the hamburger in a large dutch oven or pot and then drain any excess fat. Remove the ground beef from the pot and set aside.
- Use a lean ground beef, making sure to remove all the fat from the pan.
SAUTÉ – Add the butter to the pot and then add in the diced onion, carrots and celery and cook until the veggies are nice and tender. Toss in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- I like the texture of the chopped baby carrots, but you can also use shredded carrots to save a step if desired.
MAKE THE ROUX – What is a roux? A roux is a type of thickener that consists of a fat (butter) and flour. Whisk the flour into the buttered veggies and cook for about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock and milk, and keep cooking until the soup thickens slightly. Season to taste.
ADD BEEF AND POTATOES – Stir in the ground beef and cooked potatoes and heat it all through.
ADD THE CHEESE – I’m using 16oz of Velveeta cheese, but you could also stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream until combined.
- If using shredded cheese, please note that the thickness of the soup may be a little thinner.
TOPPINGS – Don’t forget to add a little extra cheese and pickles to the top! Yes, I know the pickles sound like it might be a little bizarre, but that salty pop of the pickle will add just the right touch to this soup.
What To Serve With Soup?
When it comes to what to serve with soup, you can’t go wrong with any of these options…
Can I Make This In The Slow Cooker?
Utilizing the slow cooker is great for busy days, when you want to prep the dinner ahead of time and come home to a warm cooked dinner. The method is a little backwards compared to the stove top directions, but it still results in an amazing soup!
Here’s what you need to know…
- In your crockpot, add diced potatoes, diced onion, diced celery, carrots and garlic. Add chicken stock. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours or until potatoes and veggies are tender.
- About 30 minutes before it is done, cook the ground beef in a medium saucepan about 4-5 minutes until brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the butter. Next, melt the butter and add flour and cook until bubbly. Add the garlic salt, salt & pepper, milk and sour cream.
- Add milk mixture, Velveeta and ground beef to the slow cooker. Stir and and continue to cook until the cheese is melted.
Variations & Tips For Cheeseburger Soup
Just like any soup, there are loads of variations on ingredients and toppings. Here are some common variations that you can try…
- Meat – try substituting the ground beef with ground turkey or chicken for a lighter flavor. Try using spicy sausage for a little kick of flavor!
- Cheese – you can easily swap out the Velveeta for 2 cups of shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese.
- Broth – I’m using chicken broth, but you can also use beef broth or vegetable broth in it’s place.
- Veggies – swap out the veggies or add in more based on your taste preference.
- Potatoes – make this cheeseburger soup low carb by swapping out the potatoes with cauliflower!
- Bacon – try adding chopped cooked bacon on top for a delicious addition!
- Sour Cream – you can use plain greek yogurt or 4 oz. of cream cheese in place of the sour cream.
Every spoonful is filled with tender ground beef, potatoes and veggies in a creamy, cheesy soup.
My whole family devoured this hearty and comforting soup.
More Creamy Soup Recipes To Try
I’m a bit of a soup addict. I love all my easy soup recipes, but here are my top favorites in the creamy division…
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Creamy Pumpkin and Acorn Squash Soup
Creamy Cheeseburger Soup
- crumbled bacon
- diced dill pickles
- shredded cheese
- Scrub potatoes and pierce the potatoes multiple times with a fork, then microwave them for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender.* Carefully halve the potatoes and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, remove the skins, and cut into chunks.
- Meanwhile brown the ground beef in a large pot until no longer pink. Remove beef from pot to a paper towel lined plate, drain any excess fat. Return pot to stove top over medium heat.
- Add in butter and melt. Sauté onion, carrots and celery in butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute, until thickened.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and milk, then season with salt, garlic salt and black pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer and add back in the ground beef and potatoes.
- Stir in the Velveeta cheese until melted into soup. Remove soup from heat and stir in the sour cream. Top with any desired toppings and enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: