If you’re looking for a soup that holds all the flavors of Chicken Parmesan, then this Chicken Parmesan Soup recipe is for you!
This soup is filled with tender bits of chicken and penne pasta in a rich and flavorful tomato-based sauce.
When it’s cold outside, nothing comforts more than a bowl of warm Chicken Parmesan Soup.
Chicken Parmesan Soup Recipe
This soup recipe is so quick and easy because everything gets cooked in just one pan. You’re sure to love the delicious flavors of this soup!
Ingredients For Chicken Parmesan Soup
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make this recipe. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients in the printable recipe card below.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – or chicken breast would work too
- Crushed Fennel Seeds – this adds that signature flavor, so don’t skip it!
- Chicken Broth
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Italian Seasoning – try my homemade blend
- Penne Noodles – or any other short cut pasta
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Soup
What I love most about this recipe is that you can cook everything in one large pot, which is great when it comes to having to clean less dishes.
- Start by sautéing the onions and chicken in a bit of olive oil, until the chicken is cooked through and the onions are tender. I prefer to use chicken thighs for this recipe as opposed to chicken breasts because the chicken thighs seem to remain more tender throughout the cooking process.
- Next add in your aromatics (fennel, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes) to the pan and cook until they are nice and fragrant.
- Then add in the liquid and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the uncooked pasta and let it cook on a simmer until the flavors have developed in the soup and the pasta is nice and tender.
- Finally, stir in a little parmesan cheese until it’s melted throughout and serve with additional parmesan cheese on top and some freshly sliced basil.
What To Serve With Chicken Parmesan Soup
We love to serve this soup with a side of garlic bread and a simple green salad. Here are some more great side dish ideas…
- Small Batch Garlic Breadsticks
- Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Caesar Salad with homemade dressing
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches would be a great accompaniment
Can I Make This In The Slow Cooker?
Yes! This recipe is great for swapping out into the slow cooker and letting it simmer all day long. In fact, the flavors should be even more delicious the longer it has time to simmer.
You’ll want to add in the diced up chicken (raw) along with all the other ingredients except the pasta, parmesan cheese and basil. Set it to LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Then, about 1 hour before serving, add in the pasta and stir. Cover and let cook until pasta is tender and then finish with the parmesan cheese and serve with the fresh basil.
More Chicken Parmesan Recipes
If you’re a fan of the flavors of chicken parmesan, then you’re going to love these recipes as well…
- Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- One Skillet Chicken Parmesan and Pasta
- Chicken Parmsan Sliders
I can’t wait for you to give this recipe a try! I know you’re going to enjoy it!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups penne noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, for garnish
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot. Saute the onions and chicken pieces until onions are soft and tender and the chicken has browned on all sides.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and crushed fennel seeds, stir until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian Seasoning and noodles. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Finally add the parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Serve the soup with additional parmesan cheese on top and fresh basil if desired.
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW