This warm and comforting Vegetable Soup Recipe is filled with fresh veggies and chunks of potato in a flavorful veggie broth. Just what you need to warm up and feel good!
There’s nothing quite like curling up with a warm bowl of soup, no matter what time of year it is!
This delicious vegetable soup is loaded with tons of fresh veggies like carrots celery, diced tomatoes, green beans, corn, and peas! It’s the perfect way to get in all your veggies in one sitting.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to whip up this hearty Vegetable Soup. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Butter – You can use oil if you’re dairy-free.
- Diced Tomatoes
- Potatoes – You can leave these out or substitute for extra veggies
- Fresh Parsley
- Green Beans
- Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
How To Make This Vegetable Soup Recipe
This recipe could not be easier to make. With just a few minutes of prepping the veggies, your soup will be simmering away and ready in no time.
SAUTE ONION, CARROTS, AND CELERY
Start by sautéing some onion, carrots, and celery in butter until tender. Toss in the garlic until fragrant.
BROTH AND TOMATOES
Pour in your choice of chicken broth or vegetable broth (to make it truly vegetarian), along with two cans of Italian diced tomatoes. I like using Italian-style tomatoes because it adds extra seasoning. Regular diced tomatoes will also work. Just increase the seasonings to taste.
POTATOES AND GREEN BEANS
Add in some diced potatoes and green beans, bring the mixture to a boil, and allow the potatoes to cook until tender.
PEAS AND CORN
Finally, add in the peas and corn and cook until they’re heated through.
SERVE AND ENJOY
Serve up this delicious veggie soup in a big bowl with some crusty bread!
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Swap out the potatoes for sweet potatoes.
- Short on time? Use frozen vegetables instead of fresh vegetables, so you don’t have to chop anything!
- Don’t have diced tomatoes? Use tomato paste instead!
- Adding some kidney beans is a great way to add some bulk to this delicious soup.
Make Ahead and Storage
If you want to prep this soup ahead of time and come home to it simmering away in the slow cooker or crock pot, it’s easily adjustable. Here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Sauté the onion, celery, and carrots in the butter, just as instructed below.
- Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker and add in the rest of the ingredients, EXCEPT the peas and corn.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, add in the frozen peas and corn and let them heat through.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Freeze in individual portions for 2-3 months.
Can I make a big batch of this homemade soup?
Yes! Just double the ingredients and follow the recipe like normal!
How can I add more flavor to this vegetable soup?
- Add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.
- Sprinkle in some fresh herbs or bay leaves as the soup cooks to enhance the flavor of the soup.
- Want a spicier soup? Add a dash of red pepper flakes!
How do you thicken vegetable soup?
Adding some flour to a couple tablespoons of the soup in a separate bowl can help thicken the soup. Then, pour the mixture back into the soup and let it simmer.
How can I make this hearty soup creamier?
Blending the soup slightly with an immersion blender after it’s done cooking, or adding some heavy cream is a great way to get a nice creamy texture in your soup.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
If you want more comforting soups like this easy vegetable soup recipe, try these:
This homemade vegetable soup recipe is the perfect comforting meal when you’re sick, or it’s a cold day! If you try this recipe, please rate the recipe card and leave a comment below!
Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced (baby carrots would work too)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock or veggie stock
- 2 cans Italian diced tomatoes , 14.5oz cans (undrained)
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced about 1/2" thick
- 1/3 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add butter. Once melted, add in the onions, carrots and celery and sauté until onions are tender (about 4 minutes). Add in the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Bring mixture to a boil and then add in the green beans. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Finally, stir in the frozen corn and peas and cook until heated through, about 5 more minutes. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Serve warm with crackers or toasted bread. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: