This warm and comforting Vegetable Soup Recipe is filled with tender veggies and chunks of potato in a perfectly seasoned broth. Just what you need to warm up and feel good!
With the new year, it’s not uncommon to want to have a fresh new start. Whether that’s physically, emotionally or spiritually, it’s a great way to wipe the slate clean and get moving with great intentions. One of my goals this year is to spend one-on-one time with each one of my 5 kids, letting them know that I care deeply about what’s going on in their lives.
Also, the diet thing. More veggies, lots of lean proteins and plenty of exercise are on the horizon for me. That’s why I’m LOVING this simple and easy Vegetable Soup!
Vegetable Soup Ingredients:
- Butter – you can use oil if you’re dairy free.
- Diced Tomatoes
- Potatoes – you can leave these out or substitute for extra veggies
- Fresh Parsley
- Green Beans
- Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
How To Make Vegetable Soup
This recipe could not be easier to make. With just a few minutes of prepping the veggies, your soup will be simmering away, and ready in no time.
- Start by sautéing some onion, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Toss in the garlic until fragrant.
- Pour in your choice of chicken broth or vegetable broth (to make it truly vegetarian), along with two cans of Italian diced tomatoes. I like using the Italian style tomatoes because it adds extra seasoning. Regular diced tomatoes will also work, just increase the seasonings to taste.
- Add in some diced potatoes and green beans and bring the mixture to a boil and allow the potatoes to cook until tender.
- Finally add in the peas and corn and cook until they’re heated through.
What To Serve With Soup
I like to keep it simple with either saltine crackers, toasted bread, or jazz it up with a grilled cheese sandwich. You can also pair this vegetable soup with a nice garden salad.
Slow Cooker Instructions-
If you’re wanting to prep this soup ahead of time and come home to it simmering away in the slow cooker, it’s easily adjustable! Here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Sauté the onion, celery and carrots in the butter just as instructed below.
- Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker and add in the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the peas and corn.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, add in the frozen peas and corn and let them heat through.
More Comforting Soup Recipes:
Helpful Products To Make This Recipe:
Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced (baby carrots would work too)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock or veggie stock
- 2 cans Italian diced tomatoes , 14.5oz cans (undrained)
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced about 1/2" thick
- 1/3 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add butter. Once melted, add in the onions, carrots and celery and sauté until onions are tender (about 4 minutes). Add in the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Bring mixture to a boil and then add in the green beans. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Finally, stir in the frozen corn and peas and cook until heated through, about 5 more minutes. Remove the bay leaves and discard. Serve warm with crackers or toasted bread. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: