This super easy crockpot chili is THE BEST Chili Recipe because it’s filled with ground beef, three types of beans and the perfect blend of chili spices.
I’ve been making this homemade Crockpot Chili Recipe for years, and it’s always a family favorite. I wanted to take the time to update the photos and share this delicious classic chili recipe with you again.
The Best Chili Recipe:
- What makes this the very BEST homemade chili recipe? Well, this thick and hearty chili only takes a few minutes of prep work and then it’s slow cooked to allow the flavors to blend beautifully.
- The chili is filled with spices like: chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and red pepper flakes with just a touch of sugar to give it perfect balance.
- Start by browning some ground beef in a skillet, drain and then add the beef to your slow cooker.
CrockPot Chili Recipe Variations:
- For this recipe I am using ground beef, but you can easily substitute ground pork, turkey or chicken in it’s place.
- Make this a vegetarian chili recipe by omitting the ground beef entirely.
- Switch out the red bell pepper for a green bell pepper if desired.
- Add some diced jalapeños to the chili for an even spicier version!
Do You Have to Brown Beef Before Slow Cooking?
Yes, it’s a good idea to brown the ground beef in a skillet before slow cooking. Break the beef up with a wooden spoon to crumble it, making it easier to eat, then drain off any excess fat from the skillet before adding it to the crockpot.
Chili Ingredients and Spices:
- I’m using three of my favorite beans – dark kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans. Feel free to swap out any of your favorites!
- The best chili starts with a good base of tomato sauce. I add in a mixture of seasoned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato puree.
- All that’s left are the combination of spices. You probably already have these classics in your pantry!
Let the flavors blend on low for 6 to 8 hours, or if you’re in a bit of a hurry, you can bump it up to high for 3 to 4 hours.
The Best Chili Toppings:
Of course you can enjoy a big bowl of this thick chili without any toppings, but my favorite thing to do with chili is load it up with some of my favorites.
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Avocado Slices
- Corn Chips
What Goes Well With Chili For Dinner?
Pair your perfect bowl of chili with any one of these delicious side dishes for an out of this world meal!
Give this thick and hearty chili a try in your slow cooker!Print
The Best Chili Recipe
This thick and hearty Chili Recipe is filled with ground beef, beans and the perfect blend of spices, then slow cooked to perfection.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper; seeded and chopped
- 1/2 onion; diced
- 1– 15oz. can pinto beans
- 1– 15oz. can kidney beans
- 1– 15oz. can black beans
- 1– 15oz. can tomato sauce
- 1– 10oz can tomato puree
- 1– 10oz can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies (chili fixin’s)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Brown ground beef till no longer pink, drain, and add to crock pot.
- To the crock pot add the bell pepper, onion, all the beans (drain about 85% of the liquid from the beans before adding to the slow cooker), tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and tomato puree. Add all the spices, and give it a good stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Top your chili with sour cream and shredded cheese if desired. Can be frozen for up to 5 months.
Keywords: Slow Cooker, Crockpot, Thick and Hearty, The Best
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE