All of a sudden it’s chilly outside!
I’m pretty sure Fall is here, especially since my front yard is covered in leaves. This all means one thing – it’s time to enjoy warm foods like this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili!
Every year my church hosts a chili cook-off, and this year I’m bringing this gorgeous bowl of goodness.
My favorite thing about this chili is that it’s cooked in the slow cooker, so all I have to do is throw all the ingredients in in the morning and by the evening my house smells amazing and dinner is ready!
I cut up two large sweet potatoes that I had already peeled. I diced them into bite sized pieces and made sure they were all roughly the same size. By doing that it ensures that they’ll cook evenly.
Let me tell you about sweet potatoes in chili… OMG! So delicious! You do not even need to add any cheese to this chili because the sweet potatoes are so tender and creamy! I’m in love!
I also browned a pound of ground turkey breast, but you could easily leave out the turkey or substitute it for ground beef if you want.
Of course with any bowl of chili, it’s all about the toppings.
I decked this bowl out with some chopped cilantro, diced tomato, green onions, sliced avocado and a nice dollop of sour cream.
The chili itself isn’t super spicy, so I even added a few dashes of hot sauce to mine. I love a good spicy chili, but sometimes my kids just can’t handle it, so I just spice my bowl up and leave the rest pretty tame.
I also added two cans of pinto beans. If you’re not a fan of pinto beans you could easily substitute them with black beans, kidney beans or even white beans. Or a mixture of all of them.
Chili is so easily adaptable to your taste preferences! I just love it!
PS – Imagine using leftover turkey from Thanksgiving in this!! Just add shredded turkey breast in place of the ground turkey.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
Serve a delicious warm dinner with this hearty and flavorful Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Turkey Chili.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (15oz) cans pinto beans, mostly drained
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp each – garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet until no longer pink. Drain any fat and add the turkey to your slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve chili with any chili fixings that you like (sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced green onions, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado, hot sauce, etc). Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 6
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: