These super easy Swedish Meatballs are ready in less than 15 minutes and are sure to knock your socks off!
Watch out IKEA, these tasty Swedish Meatballs and Gravy are so easy to make at home, you’ll be blown away!
Easy Swedish Meatballs Recipe
The first thing we need to talk about is the difference between Swedish Meatballs and Italian Meatballs. Because there is a difference!
Swedish meatballs contain just a touch of all spice (or you can use nutmeg) for a subtle, yet noticeable difference.
Both Italian Meatballs and Swedish Meatballs contain both beef and ground pork, along with milk, breadcrumbs and egg for binding.
Ingredients for Swedish Meatballs
Here’s a quick breakdown of what you’ll need to make homemade Swedish Meatballs. You can find the full list of ingredients in the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef
- Ground Pork
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- All Spice (or nutmeg)
- Salt and Pepper
How To Make Homemade Swedish Meatballs
Making Swedish Meatballs at home is actually quite easy! Here’s what you’ll need to do…
- Start by combining the breadcrumbs, milk, egg, garlic powder, onion powder and all spice in a bowl and allow the mixture to absorb for about 10 minutes.
- Once it’s absorbed a bit, add in the ground beef, ground pork and parsley, mixing with clean hands and shaping into balls.
- Heat some oil and butter on the stove top and fry the meatballs (or bake) until cooked through.
Tips To Make It Faster!
FROZEN MEATBALLS: When you’re not in the mood for making homemade meatballs, or maybe you just don’t have the time… using frozen, store bought meatballs will work too! Just defrost/microwave the meatballs prior to adding to the gravy.
FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS: You can also pre-cook the Swedish meatballs, let them cool, then freeze them for up to 3 months. This makes it super easy to whip this dinner up on a busy weeknight!
NO SOUR CREAM: If you don’t have sour cream for the gravy, you can also use plain Greek yogurt.
Swedish Meatball Gravy Recipe
Let’s talk about the gravy or sauce that goes along with these tender and delicious Swedish Meatballs!
It’s a super simple beef gravy that’s finished off with sour cream to give it the perfect creamy tang. The combination of spiced meatballs and creamy gravy is a match made in heaven.
Ingredients for Swedish Meatball Sauce-
Here’s what you’ll need in order to make the delicious, creamy gravy! You can find exact measurements in the printable recipe card below.
- Beef Broth
- Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper
Watch Video On How To Make Swedish Meatballs & Gravy
What To Serve With Swedish Meatballs
Like I mentioned earlier, Swedish Meatballs are fantastic over fluffy mashed potatoes or even egg noodles.
Traditionally, Swedish Meatballs are also served with Lingonberry Sauce, which has a similar consistency and tartness as cranberry sauce.
Here are some more great side options for Swedish Meatballs…
More Easy Meatball Recipes To Try:
Craving more easy and delicious meatball recipes? Here are some of our favorites!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
Super Easy Swedish Meatballs
For The Swedish Meatballs
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp all spice, or nutmeg
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground pork
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
For The Swedish Gravy
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 ½ - 3 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp finely minced parsley, divided
For the Swedish Meatballs
- Combine the breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and all spice in a large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to soak breadcrumbs.
- Add in the ground beef, ground pork and parsley and mix with clean hands to shape 24 small meatballs. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add in the 2 tsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter. Cook the meatballs in a single layer, making sure to not crowd the pan, and sear the meatballs on all sides. You may have to do this in two batches. Set meatballs aside on a clean plate and cover with foil.
For the Gravy
- In the same pan that was used to cook the meatballs, add in the 5 tbsp of butter. Once it's melted gradually whisk in the flour until it's thick and somewhat crumbly.
- Slowly pour in the beef broth while whisking constantly until it's all added, making sure to scrap any browned bits off the bottom of the skillet. Start with 2 ½ cups and if you want a thinner gravy add in the remaining ½ cup. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the sour cream and whisk to combine. Season with salt, pepper and half of the parsley.
- Add the meatballs back to the gravy and reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes, or until meatballs are heated through.
- Serve meatballs over warm mashed potatoes and garnish with the extra parsley. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: