There is this restaurant in our small town called Tim Hortons, that has some incredible chocolate chip muffins.
I would say Tim Hortons is a cross between a Dunkin Donuts, Paradise Bakery and Starbucks. I have been trying my best to recreate these dang muffins for the past few months, and I think I finally cracked the code to their Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Then I had to one-up them by making Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins.
These muffins are soft and moist on the inside, with a golden brown top. The Nutella on the inside adds to the richness of the mini chocolate chips that are layered all throughout the muffins.
Simply put – they are delicious.
So how do you get the Nutella on the inside?
You just lay spoonfuls of the hazelnut goodness onto a wax paper lined baking sheet then pop it in the freezer.
Once they have hardened, stick them right in the center of the muffin batter!
The key to a delicious Chocolate Chip Muffin is to sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top, then give it a little sprinkle of turbinado sugar. They look and taste more “bakery style” that way.
Trust me, I’ve been practicing for a while now!
Yup, these are definitely my new favorite muffins.
If you’re not a fan of Nutella, then just leave it out. The Chocolate Chip Muffins are still to die for!
But seriously, the Nutella in the center is uuuuuh-mazing!!
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 15 tsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup Vanilla Yogurt
- 3/4 cup Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- On a wax paper lined baking sheet, drop 15 round teaspoonfuls of Nutella (making sure they do not touch). Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours, or until the Nutella is frozen solid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 15 muffin cups with paper or foil liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until light and fluffy (2 min). Beat in one egg at a time, then add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the yogurts to the butter mixture. (Batter will be really thick) Add the cup of mini chocolate chips, and stir them in.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tin (note: fill above the top of the cup). Remove the Nutella from the freezer and quickly push the frozen Nutella into the center of the muffins. Then sprinkle each muffin with the remaining chocolate chips and turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Best served slightly warm. Enjoy!