These Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist on the inside and bursting with chocolate goodness.
If you’re a fan of my Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, you’ll love these bakery-style chocolate chip muffins stuffed with amazing, delicious Nutella!
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins
These bakery-style muffins are soft and moist on the inside, with a golden brown top. The Nutella on the inside adds to the richness of the mini chocolate chips that are layered all throughout the muffins.
Here’s the basic list of ingredients you’ll need in order to make Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Nutella – hazelnut chocolate spread, usually found in peanut butter isle
- Flour – all purpose
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Sugar- white granulated
- Vanilla Extract
- Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- Regular Vanilla Yogurt
- Mini Chocolate Chips
How To Make Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins
A few simple tricks make these muffins super easy to fill. I’ll guide you through the steps!
Why Freeze the Nutella?
It may seem like extra work to freeze the Nutella, but trust me, it will make it so much easier to work with and stuff the muffins!
Freezing it solid makes it so that it bakes into the muffin and becomes melty instead of filling it after baking it with un-frozen Nutella and making a gooey mess.
Start by lining a baking sheet with wax paper. Measure out 15 rounded teaspoons of Nutella and drop them onto the wax paper, ensuring the edges do not touch. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours, or until the Nutella is frozen solid.
When Nutella is nearly frozen, preheat the oven and line 15 muffin cups with paper or foil liners, and set aside.
MIX DRY INGREDIENTS
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
MIX WET INGREDIENTS
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in one egg at a time, then add the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
COMBINE WET & DRY
Alternate adding the flour mixture and the yogurts to the butter mixture. (Batter will be really thick).
Add the cup of mini chocolate chips, and stir them in.
Divide the mixture evenly in the prepared muffin tin (note: fill above the top of the cup). Remove the Nutella from the freezer and quickly push the frozen Nutella into the center of the muffins.
PRO TIP: The key to a delicious Chocolate Chip Muffin is to sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top, then give it a little sprinkle of turbinado sugar. They look and taste more “bakery style” that way.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Best served slightly warm. Enjoy!
Make Ahead & Storage
It’s really easy to make these easy chocolate chip muffins ahead of time, and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days on the counter.
FREEZE: These muffins also freeze very well! It’s best if you flash-freeze them.
- Place cooled muffins about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet so the edges aren’t touching, and place them into the freezer for at least 30 minutes to freeze the outside and prevent them from getting stuck together.
- After 30 minutes you can place all the muffins in an airtight container or zip-close bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
- Pull out individual muffins when desired and set at room temperature for about 1-2 hours, and enjoy.
Tips & Variations
These are amazing muffins as is, but if you’re looking to switch things up, I have a few suggestions!
- Use peanut butter chips for an extra delicious Nutella-peanut butter combo!
- Coarse white sugar sprinkled on top, along with some mini chocolate chips helps take these muffins to the bakery-style level!
- For an extra decadent, cupcake like treat, make some Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting to pipe on top.
More Breakfast Muffins
We love muffins for breakfast, it’s no secret! Here are a few of our favorite breakfast muffins to try…
- Cinnamon Sugar Banana Muffins
- Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- Frittata Egg Muffins 3 Ways
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
I know you’re going to love these Nutella stuffed muffins! Let me know how you like them in the comments below.
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Muffins
- On a wax paper lined baking sheet, drop 15 round teaspoonfuls of Nutella (making sure they do not touch). Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 2-3 hours, or until the Nutella is frozen solid.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 15 muffin cups with paper or foil liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until light and fluffy (2 min). Beat in one egg at a time, then add the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the yogurts to the butter mixture. (Batter will be really thick) Add the cup of mini chocolate chips, and stir them in.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tin (note: fill above the top of the cup). Remove the Nutella from the freezer and quickly push the frozen Nutella into the center of the muffins. Then sprinkle each muffin with the remaining chocolate chips and turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Best served slightly warm. Enjoy!