Skip the cans of frosting and opt for this super simple and crazy delicious Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting instead!
How To Make Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Start out with room temperature cream cheese and butter – this will help to give the frosting a smooth consistency.
- Use a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder till completely incorporated and frosting is light and fluffy.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- Cream Cheese – use a good quality cream cheese to ensure a smooth and cream consistency.
- Salted Butter – I prefer to use a salted butter in this recipe to bring out the flavors of the chocolate. If you’re watching salt intake, use unsalted butter instead.
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar – use more for a sweeter frosting if desired.
- Cocoa Powder – 100% cocoa powder, unsweetened.
What Tastes Best with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting?
You really can’t go wrong with this silky smooth frosting as a topping to any cake, but here are a few of my favorites:
- Chocolate Cake
- Vanilla Cake
- Funfetti Cake
The cream cheese adds a delightful yet subtle tang to the lightly sweetened frosting.
Do I Need To Refrigerate Cream Cheese Frosting?
Since there is cream cheese in this frosting you’ll want to keep the finished cake or cupcakes in the refrigerator until they are ready to be served.
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting Thick or Thin:
Once you have your cream cheese frosting mixed up, it’ll be on the thicker side, perfect for piping. If you want to make it thinner, you can add a tablespoon of milk to the frosting and beat that in. Add more milk for a thinner consistency, but just a little at a time so it doesn’t get too thin on you.
You’re going to love this light and fluffy chocolate frosting!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy then add in vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in ½ cup intervals, mixing between each addition until the frosting is light and fluffy and fully combined.
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: