These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting are a classic combination of flavors with a surprise filling that’s to die for!
I’m a chocolate and peanut butter addict.
I’m sure I’m not alone.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Do you ever have moments where you are daydreaming in the car and a brilliant idea hits you? That’s what happened with these cupcakes.
The idea to make a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter buttercream frosting was very logical. Then I had the idea to drop a Reese’s mini peanut butter cup right into the center, brilliant. THEN I take it over the top with some chocolate curls and another peanut butter cup on top.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting:
- Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting is light, fluffy, and rich all at the same time.
- It’s in perfect balance with the chocolate cup cake.
- If you’re not a fan of chocolate with peanut butter, try a vanilla cupcake and fill the center with strawberry jam and top with the peanut butter frosting!
- This Peanut Butter Frosting would be great on top of a layer cake as well.
The best thing about these cupcakes is how quickly they come together! I start out with a boxed chocolate cake mix and amped them up a notch by simply dropping in an unwrapped Reese’s Miniature Peanut Butter Cup!
Once they’re baked and cooled you’ll quickly whip together the peanut butter buttercream frosting and you can pipe it on however you like.
Not only are these cupcakes gorgeous on the outside, but that surprise center always brings a smile to everyone’s face!
These cup cakes will definitely take you to chocolate and peanut butter heaven.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cup Cakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
- 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix
- *ingredients to make box mix, eggs, water, oil
- 24 Reese's Miniature Peanut Butter Cups, foil and wrappers removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package directions and fill cup cake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 7 minutes then carefully remove cup cakes from oven and drop the Reese's Miniatures into the center of the cup cakes. Place back in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes away clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
For the Frosting:
- While cup cakes are cooling prepare buttercream frosting by blending butter and peanut butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixture until smooth.
- Pour in the powdered sugar and salt and mix just until the sugar begins to get moistened (about 45 seconds). Add the vanilla and heavy cream and blend for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat for an additional 4 minutes until the frosting becomes light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled cup cakes using your desired method then top with chocolate curls (see notes) and halved Reese's Miniature Peanut Butter Cups if desired. Enjoy!
The Everyday Cookbook
Top Favorite Recipes from I Wash You Dry now available in a hard-cover, spiral-bound book that’s gorgeous and perfect for everyday use.BUY IT NOW
Recipe originally published on 12/27/2012. Updated on 2/20/2018.
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: