Today is a great day. It’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Day!
So what exactly does that mean? Well, it means you are about to be blown away by chocolate and peanut butter recipes (never a bad thing). I’ve joined forces with 31 fellow bloggers to showcase these tasty ingredients all on the same day. My girls Carla from Chocolate Moosey and Miriam from Overtime Cook are orchestrating the whole event, and we want you to join in on social media using #chocPBday, grab more delicious recipe on the Chocolate PB Pinterest board, and best of all… enter to win 1 of 3 prize packs from OXO, King Arthur Flour, and Peanut Butter & Co. in the giveaway below (find it below the recipe)!
But first… Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake.
Here’s the deal with this cake – it ain’t purtty.
It’s meant to look like a peanut butter earthquake has come in and wreaked havoc on an innocent chocolate cake. All the while, tasting super rich, moist and delicious.
I found it tasted best when it was served warm, a-la-mode style.
The cake is actually super easy to make, and a riff on the classic earthquake cake.
Just grab a chocolate boxed cake mix, prepare it according to the box’s instructions and pour into your cake pan.
Then combine some butter, cream cheese, peanut butter and powdered sugar and blend until light and fluffy.
Scoop by tablespoons right on top of the cake batter.
Cover the whole cake in creamy peanut butter blobs.
Blobs… it’s such a fun word to say.
Let’s get crazy and throw in some extra chocolate and peanut butter… shall we??
A few (few?) chocolate chips and peanut butter cups for the road please.
The blobs will slowly sink to the bottom as the cake rises up while baking. It takes a little longer to bake than your average cake mix, so have patience.
You’re looking for a slightly jiggly center, nothing that wobbles too much.
The top will have cracks and creases…
Basically looking like an earthquake destroyed your cake.
Throw a little more chocolate peanut butter cups on top. Mmkay?
The peanut butter blobs form a creamy sweet layer that’s ribboned throughout the moist chocolate cake.
No frosting needed.Print
Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake
Chocolate Peanut Butter Earthquake Cake tastes best when it’s served warm, a-la-mode style!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- 1 box Chocolate Fudge cake mix, plus ingredients needed to prepare (eggs, oil, water)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature chocolate peanut butter cups, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package instructions and pour into a lightly greased 9×13 cake pan, DO NOT BAKE – set aside.
- Melt butter on stove top until bubbly. Pour into mixing bowl and beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the peanut butter and vanilla extract, beat till smooth. Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time to bowl, and beat until fully incorporated and mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Scoop spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture onto the chocolate cake batter, all over. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and peanut butter cups.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the center is only slightly jiggly. Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing and serving warm. Top with ice cream if desired! Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 20
Ready to win some cool prizes?
A huge thank you to our sponsors! Be sure to follow them on social media:
Three lucky winners will win one of the following:
Prize Pack #1: OXO Baking Tool Set: One 3-in-1 Egg Separator, One Bent Icing Knife, One Brownie Spatula, One Cake Tester, One Cookie Spatula, One Cupcake Icing Knife, One Cupcake Corer, One Egg Beater, One Stainless Steel Measuring Cups, One Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, One Medium Cookie Scoop
Prize Pack #2: King Arthur Flour ingredients: One bag of all-purpose flour, one package of Guittard bittersweet chocolate disks, and one bottle of pure vanilla extract
Prize Pack #3: Peanut Butter and Co. package including: one Dark Chocolate Dreams 6-pack, One Variety 6-pack, and One 31 Days of Dark Chocolate Dreams cookbook
This giveaway is open to US residents only and will be picked from random draw. Giveaway ends Monday March 31 at 11:59 PM. The winners will be notified via email and have 24 hours to respond. If not, the prize is forfeited and another winner will be chosen.
Want more Chocolate and Peanut Butter?!
Check out these 30 delicious recipes & bloggers!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Parfait by Hip Foodie Mom
- Dark Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookies by Mind Over Batter
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Crumb Parfait by Hungry Couple
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Doughnuts by It’s Yummi!
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cup Swirl Brownies by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Buckeye Cheesecake Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Scones by All Day I Dream About Food
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Jam Bars by Poet in the Pantry
- Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cannolis by Souffle Bombay
- 4 Layer Chocolate Brownie Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting by Neighborfood
- Mini Chocolate Caramel Peanut Butter Cheesecakes by The Spiffy Cookie
- Peanut Butter Nanaimo Bars by Crumb: A Food Blog
- Chocolate Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies by In The Kitchen With KP
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies by The Cooking Actress
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifle by Kelli’s Kitchen
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream by Kelly Bakes
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Biscotti by Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Chunky Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies by Snappy Gourmet
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Chocolate Cheesecake Filling by Overtime Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Quick Bread by Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Bars by Roxana’s Home Baking
- Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Blondies by What Smell’s So Good
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares by Food Lust People Love
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Cups by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispie Cheesecake Bars by Food Faith Fitness